FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage from Sony mini DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat Harris
Footage from Sony mini DVD
on Feb 3, 2012 at 6:27:32 pm

I am working on a documentary and I need to pull home movie footage from a Sony Handycam DCR-DVD108 Camcorder. It records onto mini discs. I am working on a macbook pro with final cut 7, and I read that you cannot read the mini discs unless you have a tray disc drive.

Also, will would it be advisable to finalize and burn the disc then rip it? or would this degrade the quality.

The video is all recorded on the camera, but the disc has not been finalized yet.

If i were able to burn the discs im guessing the process would then be to rip it off the discs and transcode to pro res 422.

Any other information on this process that could help?

Pat Harris

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
Re: Footage from Sony mini DVD
on Feb 3, 2012 at 9:07:18 pm

Finalize the disc. If you need to use software on your Mac to rip the footage using Cinematize or Handbrake, then use a computer with a tray DVD to copy and burn it to a full size DVD. Then rip it on the Mac into whatever format you need. It's all data transfer, you won't be degrading the picture quality.

I've used Cinematize on several projects where the client brought in footage on DVD. I don't know what it does, but the images come out looking better than they were on the DVD, very few compression artifacts.

Bars & Tone

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved