FORUMS: list search recent posts

Weird Jaggies on Rendered Transitions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Vaillancourt
Weird Jaggies on Rendered Transitions
on Feb 3, 2012 at 3:34:02 pm

Hi, I'm not sure why this is happening, I have pre rendered ProRes LT files from After Effects, dropped into a properly formatted timeline. All my render settings are on best and my field order is none. The video exports crystal clear EXCEPT during transitions. As soon as it hits the first frame of the transition, it looks like it's defaulting to a lower resolution and the video gets all jaggy, it's pretty distracting when the transition starts. As soon as the last frame of the transition happens, it goes back to normal. I've attached 2 before and after examples. These are just single video tracks of pre rendered video, no compositing or effects. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!! I'm thinking it might just be the ProRes LT codec??

Cheers
Justin

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Weird Jaggies on Rendered Transitions
on Feb 3, 2012 at 4:18:11 pm

Render settings not set to full 100%?

Return to posts index

Justin Vaillancourt
on Feb 3, 2012 at 7:02:58 pm

At last! After 2 hours of testing I have found the problem. It seems that Final Cut interprets certain codecs rendered from After Effects (Animation, ProRes) to have a field order even though they don't. It was as simple as scrolling over to the field order setting of the clips and setting them to none. Oddly enough, it doesn't interpret XD Cam or Photo JPG compression to have a field order.

At least I can say I learned something today!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 3, 2012 at 7:27:14 pm

So were you seeing that during playback or paused? If you're working in progressive and FCP interprets something as interlaced, it really shouldn't make any difference, since in a progressive sequence interlacing interpretation is ignored.

Return to posts index

Justin Vaillancourt
on Feb 3, 2012 at 7:39:11 pm

That's what I thought, but apparently it does matter for rendering. If the field order is not set to NONE it renders aliased transitions.

Once the footage is placed in the sequence with the wrong field order it will always render the transitions wrong for that edit. I tried changing the field order and it still had aliasing, I tried copy and pasting the clips into a new sequence after fixing field dominance and it still had aliasing, it wasn't until I had all the field orders set properly BEFORE I placed the clips into a fresh sequence that the aliasing went away!! I learned this the hard way as I completed my whole edit with FCP interpreting the field order as UPPER and there was no way for me to get rid of the aliasing from the transitions. Setting the field order to NONE fixed the problem if I brought the clips from the browser into a fresh sequence, but it did not fix the transitions in my original edit... weird. It seems once you've brought in a clip to a sequence with the wrong field order, FCP remembers it and changing the field order in the browser does nothing. I even tried trashing the render files.

So I re-did my entire edit with the exact same clips as the original edit, making sure field order was set properly BEFORE I brought them into the fresh sequence and everything worked perfect. Yes you are right, the field order didn't make a difference on the footage, but it caused aliasing when rendering transitions. I learned this the hard way, but it's solved quite a few issues that I've had in the past with compositing AE clips in FCP.

Cheers
JD

Return to posts index

Justin Vaillancourt
on Feb 3, 2012 at 8:04:06 pm

Update, thanks to Matt, he made me realize I can change the field order of a clip in-sequence... and by turning the visibility on and off, FCP refreshes and sees the proper field order, fixing the aliasing.

Return to posts index

Willie Frazier
on Apr 23, 2012 at 4:31:37 pm

You can also select the effected clips in the sequence and do command-9 to bring up a dialogue that will let you change many settings, including field order interpolation.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 3, 2012 at 10:04:45 pm

So what are your sequence settings? I'm currently editing in a 720p project with lots of 1080p DSLR (7D) footage transcoded to ProRes. FCP defaults to interpreting this footage as 1080i and it makes no difference. All my transitions look just fine. Exact same problem you're having. I think it just defaults to 1080i if it doesn't know, because it shouldn't matter.

Return to posts index

J.D. Vaillancourt
on Feb 4, 2012 at 1:38:50 am

Everything is working and all good on my end, so I'm happy.

Does your 7D footage say UPPER under field dominance? Probably not, now that I've solved the issue I've realized it only happens with certain codecs rendered from After Effects that FCP misinterprets as UPPER instead of none. When I transcode my 5D footage and bring it into FCP the field order is NONE.

Try this... switch the field order in the browser of a couple of your 7D clips to UPPER, start a new sequence with the field dominance set to NONE, then bring those 7D clips in and put a transition between them. Render the file and I bet you'll have aliasing on the footage where the transitions are.

SO GLAD I figured this out... I avoided doing any compositing of AE clips in FCP for a long time for this exact reason... when you bring Animation compressed clips from AE into FCP, the field order is wrong and it aliases the comped image... so I just avoided it and did everything in AE... WOW

Return to posts index

Joseph Conarkov
on Jun 21, 2012 at 5:16:47 pm

Great help you guys! Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]