FORUMS: list search recent posts

New MBP not vastly outperforming the old MBP on FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Gordon
New MBP not vastly outperforming the old MBP on FCP
on Feb 3, 2012 at 1:29:52 am

I just got the brand new top of the line 15" MBP 2.5GHZ quad core with 8MB RAM to replace my 2007 15" 2.2 or 2.3 GHZ MBP dual core with 4MB RAM (only 3 active of course) and I am NOT blown away by the difference. I am running FCS2, FCP7, Compressor 3.5. I was expecting dramatic drops in export, render, and compression times and am not seeing them. Where should I see the difference? I'm wondering whether I should instead get the top of the line iMac? Will I see a dramatic improvement there?
Or were my expectations unreasonable?
Thoughts?
Many thanks.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: New MBP not vastly outperforming the old MBP on FCP
on Feb 3, 2012 at 1:40:07 am

[Kevin Gordon] "I'm wondering whether I should instead get the top of the line iMac? Will I see a dramatic improvement there?"

Yes, that will most certainly give you more bang for your buck.

Keep in mind, MBPs have power requirements designed to make them run longer, cooler, and more efficiently. Performance is secondary to efficiency.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Kevin Gordon
on Feb 3, 2012 at 2:22:10 am

Thanks David,
I definitely get that the iMac would be an improvement, I guess I'm having trouble gauging how much of an improvement and overall whether I would still feel frustrated.
This were the best benchmarks I could find but still not sure how to interpret the results. Also this is specific to FCPX:
http://barefeats.com/fcpx01.html

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 3, 2012 at 2:48:38 am

I went from a Core2Duo and it the early 2011 MBP 2.2 and I saw a huge difference in all of the above. Compressor screams. I can do VBR m2v encodes right around real time. Saw a great improvement in H264 encoding also.

You can set a MBP to favor performance over battery, and it should be set to that especially when plugged in.

An iMac is cheaper and faster, bigger screen so if you didn't need portability then it is a better system. But I can say the 2011 MBPs rock as an editing system. My old laptop went done and I needed a laptop more than a desktop so I sold my MacPro 8 core 3.0 (first gen 8-core) and this thing is on par with that system.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 3, 2012 at 3:57:30 am

Oddly enough, the fastest iMac, the 27" i7 with processor upgrade is only 1 notch above that MacBook Pro.

here http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/mac-benchmarks/

The problem is that FCP only uses one of those processors. So if overall the processor is only 20-30% faster than the 2007, then it's hardly noticeable. And with only 4gb of RAM, compared to 8, the entire interface will most likely feel lethargic by comparison. FCP can gobble up 4gb on it's own if you have the still cache maxed.

I have the topped out i7 iMac and I also have the 2006 MacPro 2.0 ghz. Both have 16gigs and feel the same editing. Even rendering basic dissolves and titles don't seem too much different.

But set up a compressor quick cluster and holy bejeezus!!!! I did some simple mpeg2 encoding and ae downscale rendering and what took 30min on the 2006 took 3-4 min on the iMac.

Still waiting for BlackMagic to get out the intensity extreme for my thunderbolt monitoring, but until then I bought the matrox tb adapter and have to share the matrox between the two systems.

BEST thing about the iMac is the display. IMHO there is no better display than the Cinemas. Don't know how apple does it but every other display just has horrible vertical viewing angles. I'm looking to get another 27" cinema display now. Even if they come out with a new MacPro, I'm loving the iMac.

Bought the pegasus tb raid too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]