FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP export leaves text/Motion graphics washed out, jumpy, and jagged

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley vonClausburg
FCP export leaves text/Motion graphics washed out, jumpy, and jagged
on Feb 2, 2012 at 10:22:59 pm

I am not a video professional, but am putting together a video for a conference my company is launching. I'm using FCS 2. The video is a combination of mostly Motion text/animation/images, and a few very short video clips. The clarity of the video is fine watching it in FCP but when I export it, the images are jerky and everything is just faded and fuzzy and doesn't look great.

My sequence settings in FCP are 720x480 NTSC DV (3:2) and the compressor is DV/DVC PRO NTSC. I read somewhere the DV/DVC compression isn't good for things created in Motion. Is this where my problem is? If so, what should my settings be?

The video I'm using is 1920x1080, XDCAM EX 1080i50. And my Motion projects are projects with DVCPRO HD 1080i50 properties.

These things should probably match up?

This is a DRAFT of the video so far, but will at least give you an idea of the issues I'm having.

Any and all advice would be appreciated!! I don't have much guidance on this through my company.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP export leaves text/Motion graphics washed out, jumpy, and jagged
on Feb 2, 2012 at 10:39:29 pm

Wow. What a mess. Your video is 25 fps HD and you are making graphics and titles in SD DV codec at 29.97 fps.Wrong frame rate, wrong pixel dimensions and the worst codec for graphics.

Your timeline should be based on the video. Change your Easy Setup to 1920x1080, XDCAM EX 1080i50. In sequence preferences change the render option to ProRes

All Motion graphics and titles should be 1920 x 1080 ProRes422 @ 50i so that all your frames match. Your final file should also be 1920 x 1080 but it depends on how the presentation is being done. Hopefully you can run a 1920 x 1080 H264 final quicktime to the projector/ monitor.

Return to posts index

Ashley vonClausburg
Re: FCP export leaves text/Motion graphics washed out, jumpy, and jagged
on Feb 17, 2012 at 7:35:49 pm

Thank you so much for your help! I redid all of the Motion graphics and changed the sequence settings so they all match (1920x1080, XDCAM EX 1080i50), however the quality of the graphics still look really bad on export. Particularly the opening title sequence and a series of pictures that move across the screen.

I tried just exporting it as a QT movie with all of the current settings and everything is still a bit blurred and not clean-looking. (As seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChQiOpcOltU)

I also tried exporting using QT conversion with H.264 compression, 1920x1080 HD. The graphics look cleaner but there are white lines through anything that moves across the screen. I did check deinterlace source video.

This video will mostly likely be used just as an embedded video on a website, but may be played over a projector.

Once again, any and all feedback would be more than appreciated!!

-Ashely

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]