FORUMS: list search recent posts

Highpoint-tech USB 3.0 PCIe card

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale Larsen
Highpoint-tech USB 3.0 PCIe card
on Feb 2, 2012 at 8:23:07 pm

I recently put this card in my mac pro (2010 8 core) and after a couple days I turned on my system to find that it was frozen except for the mouse could move around.

after about 5 min I saw the screen flash and poof, i could now use the mouse as normal and touch. move, click on thinks on the desktop.

all my firewire externals also were GONE.

I looked in the "MY apple" section to see what was up and it showed NO firewire or PCI cards.

That gave me the idea that it was the new PCI card from Highpoint-tech.

I pulled it out and the system returned to normal on restart. No problem since.

I have been emailing Highpoint tech support who ignored me for several days and then sent me an email saying.
"Gosh we have no idea, maybe you should take it back"

anyone have any experience with this card or other PCIe cards that mess up the system?

the USB 3.0 was amazing fast, i would like to continue using something like it!

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
Re: Highpoint-tech USB 3.0 PCIe card
on Feb 2, 2012 at 9:16:28 pm

Hi Dale,

I see from the website that HighPoint seem to produce separate cards for PC (RocketU 1022A and 1144A) and Mac (RocketU Dual for Mac and RocketU Quad for Mac). You have the Mac-specific model, right? If so, there are drivers on the website, which should've come on a CD with the card but you never can tell these days. Are those installed and/or updated? I see the current driver revision is 1.0.1. Support is listed for OS 10.6 or 10.7 only. The drivers are available inside the "Download Center" tab of each product page on "http://www.hptmac.com/US/categories.php?compatibility=18".

If all that's OK, I don't quite know what else to suggest, having no experience with these exact cards. With the PCIe slots available inside your computer, you can't really have gone wrong but it's worth trying the other x4 slot if you can.

If all else fails and support stays as awfully unhelpful, there are alternatives. The one I've installed and verified as working is the LaCie USB3.0 card. It requires Leopard or later and a driver install but seems to work just fine. And LaCie have more people you can call to complain to if need be.

IHTH,

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Dale Larsen
Re: Highpoint-tech USB 3.0 PCIe card
on Feb 2, 2012 at 9:24:19 pm

yes I have been down all these roads but I see you saying the the PCIe slots are NOT all the same.
(I think)

I will have to find a diagram that outlines that info and choose a different slot if that's the case.
thanks!

then I will get a lacie before my head explodes.

D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]