FORUMS: list search recent posts

Error Out Of System Memory... can't even import one clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gaelen Smith
Error Out Of System Memory... can't even import one clip
on Feb 2, 2012 at 3:09:03 pm

I've read many posts on this and none of them seem to offer a solution that works for me. I can't even start a sequence without getting the message. I'm running a 27" imac with a 3.4GHz intel core i7 and 8 gb of memory with 2tb of hd space. I have final cut pro 7 and all I need to do is import full .mp4 movie files so that I can cut them down and create bumpers. My life at this company relies that I can do this in a quick and timely manner. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Chad Smith
Re: Error Out Of System Memory... can't even import one clip
on Feb 2, 2012 at 4:52:07 pm

Regardless of what they say, FCP does not play nice with Mpeg files. What I would do is use compressor to transcode your mp4 files to prores. Then bring the new prores files into FCP for cutting etc. Then if you need to post on the web, turn it back into mp4 with another trip through compressor.

Return to posts index

Gaelen Smith
on Feb 2, 2012 at 6:36:46 pm

Thank you so much! This solved my problem but now I have to sit through 4 hour conversions from mp4 to prores and its killing my workflow... I'm using mpeg streamclip but havn't figured out compressor. Is compressor faster?

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Feb 2, 2012 at 10:59:30 pm

You can set Compressor up to work very efficiently for you.

Open up Compressor.
Go to the Destinations tab.
Hit the + to create a local Destination. This is where your ProRes files will be exported to.
Open Compressor's Preferences.
Change the default setting to Apple -> Formats -> Quicktime -> ProRes422
Change the default destination to the destination you created.

Now when you drag your files into the Compressor icon on the Dock literally all you need to do is hit submit twice. Compressor will find the appropriate video settings for you based on your mpg source clips.

===

You might try using a Quick Cluster to speed up the process. Type Quick Cluster into Google to set one up. It'll make Compressor seem extremely complex, but for what you're doing it isn't too complex. The only difference will be after you hit Submit you'll need to change from "This Computer" to the name of the cluster you created before hitting submit a second time.

===

Also, if you start with the mpg files one one drive and export ProRes to a different drive that can help.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Feb 2, 2012 at 6:50:50 pm

Hi there, I'm new to posting so I hope this is ok to give advice of what wasn't asked for.

FCP X will make all your memory and transcoding issues go away. It seems like what you need to do can be done in there pretty easily. Since you can throw pretty much any codec at it instantly and just get to work it may be worth a try. There is still a free month trial.

I shoot on DSLRs and no longer need to transcode. It just deals with it. Plus the updates the other day have filled in all the gaps I've had in switching.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Gaelen Smith
on Feb 2, 2012 at 8:03:33 pm

Hi Darren,

So I downloaded the trial with an optimistic mindset. I've read and heard negative things about the software but it really does bring a new meaning to the word "soft" ware. Its slow, buggy and lacks a comprehensive export option. Maybe I didn't give it enough time, but I dont have time nor company money to spend on another program. That being said, I did like the hotkey system as I found that saved me some time. But Final Cut Pro X is like driving an automatic on a racetrack, and it looks like I'm going to have to log some late after work hours converting mp4 to prores.

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

- Gaelen

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Feb 2, 2012 at 8:29:54 pm

The magnetic timeline takes some getting used to. I was put off by it at first, but now I can't edit well without it. Are you running Lion? FCPX kind of needs lion to run well. It also takes over all the system resources you have so tuning up with onyx before using really helps.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth. Once I stuck it out and learned it, the time saving has been tremendous. I no longer have to prep anything, run pluraleyes, etc. I can just plug in the raw files and get working.

As far as the export features, yes you would have to get the new compressor ($50) where you can make presets and export in any way you want as it sends to that. But you can export prores, then use the compressor version you have now.

I have to say, as far as time and money goes, $300 to not have to convert footage and much faster rendering wil pay off pretty fast. As I said, it's a whole new deal, but once you get used to the new timeline, it's worth it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 2, 2012 at 8:59:55 pm

Like Quicktime X, FCPX can be characterized by the term, "a work in progress".

Everybody keeps talking about how cool it will be in the future. However, if you need to to work RIGHT NOW, your options may be limited or non-existent, depending on your current workflow.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 2, 2012 at 10:32:54 pm

Consider Premier Pro as well. It also has 64 bit architecture and takes H264 files without transcoding. It works best with NVIDIA cards but will work with less real time performance on an iMac

It can also be setup to mimic the FCP7 keyboards shortcuts.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]