FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to offline an H.264 sequence and relink it to its apple prores file without rendering

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sara masetti
How to offline an H.264 sequence and relink it to its apple prores file without rendering
on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:05:37 am

Hi all,

I am editing a short doc in FCP 7. I was given a bunch of sequences ALREADY synced within final cut in H.264 codec (via pluraleyes)

So, I compressed all the raw footage outside fcp into prores proxy files (via Mpeg Streamclip)

Can you help me figure out how to 'offline' the H.264 sequences and relink them to the prores proxy files I created? So I can edit in peace...

I was doing File>Media Manager>Create offline AND set sequence: Apple prores proxy

but when I get the new sequence in the new FCP project file I have to render every single video clip in my sequence.

Is there a way out of having to spend hours re-rendering everything? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you all for your help!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How to offline an H.264 sequence and relink it to its apple prores file without rendering
on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:43:34 am

[sara masetti] "Am I doing something wrong?"

Yes...

[sara masetti] "So, I compressed all the raw footage outside fcp into prores proxy files (via Mpeg Streamclip)"

[sara masetti] "I was doing File>Media Manager>Create offline AND set sequence: Apple prores proxy"

That's not what you do. The CREATE OFFLINE is for when you use LOG AND TRANSFER (or Log and Capture if you used tape) to bring in the footage say as ProRes Proxy (low res), and now want to bring it back in as ProRes 422, or HQ. Create Offline sets the quality you now want, and allows you to bring in the footage at that resolution. But since you didn't bring in the footage via L&T originally, it won't work.

Just try to reconnect the footage to the new ProRes Proxy files...via RECONNECT MEDIA. Take the H.264 files offline...that might help. But unless the timecodes and durations match exactly, it might not work. But, worth a shot...as the original H.264 each start at 00:00:00:00, and if you used Streamclip, should stay 00:00:00:00. See if that will reconnect.

If it does, GREAT! Then you need to make sequence settings that matches that footage. The current sequence probably is set to H.264...so you need to make a new sequence that is ProRes Proxy (make a new sequence, cut a clip into it and let FCP change the settings), then copy and paste the old sequence of footage into the new sequence.

But this is a very backwards way of doing things, so there might be some hiccups along the way.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]