FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting from SDI 422 to HD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hutto
Converting from SDI 422 to HD
on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:01:47 pm

What is the best way to create an HD master for PBS when the show was captured in standard definition 16:9 SDI 422 and edited in 10 bit uncompressed?

Edited in Final Cut Pro 7.03 - 56:46 length.

Would like to create HDCAM tape masters and files for distribution.

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Converting from SDI 422 to HD
on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:18:04 pm

Compressor is the best software solution in FC, but if you wan't to get something better do it with hardware. An AJA, Black Magic or Matrox will do a better upscaling and in real time.
Many HD desks (I guess HDCAM too) can up/downscale. Talk with the people will print the HDCAM tapes.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:22:45 pm

Best to recapture all the tapes via a Kona card. Hardware upconvert is superior to software upconvert.

SD 16:9? That isn't a format that exists on tape. Either anamorphic or letterbox.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Hutto
on Jan 31, 2012 at 7:16:46 pm

Yes the projects are anamorphic. From an aesthetic point of view, would it be better to do some sort of "letter box" with the 16:9 image to reduce softness? What will give us the best on-air look?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 31, 2012 at 8:21:22 pm

[David Hutto] "From an aesthetic point of view, would it be better to do some sort of "letter box" with the 16:9 image to reduce softness?"

No. Letterbox 16:9? Not unless you want it to look 1.85 to 1, which is how feature films are presented.

[David Hutto] "What will give us the best on-air look?"

Recapture the SD as HD via a capture card that can do the upconvert via hardware...and the 16:9 should fill the HD frame fine.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Paul Keyserling
on Jan 31, 2012 at 7:36:01 pm

I'm a bit confused by your statement that "That isn't a format that exists on tape. Either anamorphic or letterbox."

I have a BetaSP camera that shoots 16:9 in addition to 4:3 and has a wider chip (ie higher pixel count) than the non-16:9 versions. In 16:9 it plays back full screen on a 16:9 monitor and squeezes the horizontal to fit when viewed on a 4:3 monitor. (Of course it likewise stretches the horizontal in 4:3 mode when played on a 4:3 monitor.)

Is this not 16:9 SD? And if not what is it?

Paul Keyserling
Big Pictures
Beaufort, SC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 31, 2012 at 8:19:38 pm

[Paul Keyserling] "I have a BetaSP camera that shoots 16:9 in addition to 4:3"

I'm sure it shot anamorphic to tape. Wider chip...I do recall the cameras having that. But the tape format is always 4:3, so the 16:9 image was recorded 4:3, and flagged as 16:9. So that the 16:9 monitor would know "hey, this is 16:9." the 4:3 monitors played back what was recorded onto tape.

[Paul Keyserling] "Is this not 16:9 SD? And if not what is it?"

Anamorphic 16:9...not full raster. That's the only difference. Squeezed, not full sized.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Jan 31, 2012 at 8:29:14 pm

It's anamorphic 4x3 SD.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 31, 2012 at 9:44:34 pm

AJA in my experience do a better upscale, although I have not seen Matrox upscaling compared. I used to have a Decklink and it's up/down scaling wasn't as good as AJA.

My HDCam 1800 machine doesn't up scale but it does a great downscale - as good as the AJA. Hopefully your timeline is anamorphic which gets stretched our to square pixel in the upscale to HD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]