FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Interface choice for FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mary Beth Koplin
Audio Interface choice for FCP 7
on Jan 31, 2012 at 4:20:49 pm

I've looked on Apple's website and they say 'any audio interface that is compatible with Mac OS X Core Audio.' Is there a compatability list I have missed on their website? I may have already purchased the wrong audio interface (Focusrite Sapphire pro 40) but still have time left to return it.

I just bought a Focusrite Sapphire 40, even though I'm just a beginner Pro Tools student. I need the optical in for my Yamaha Clavinova.

Now I am seeing posts that people have problems with Sapphire and Final Cut Pro...OH NO! I use Final Cut for video editing for local community service. Is this problem enough to warrant swapping the Sapphire 40 for another interface?

I saw a post by Walter Biscardi who recommends installing all my audio software and driver on a second internal hard drive and and boot with that one when mixing (something I have never done, but I do have a macpro with 3 large internal hard drives. Maybe this is a good solution for me.

Please help, I am overwhelmed,

Mac OS 10.4.11
Processor - Dual 1.8 GHx PowerPC G5
Memory 1.25 GB DDR SDRAM

Software:
Final Cut Pro 5.1

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Audio Interface choice for FCP 7
on Jan 31, 2012 at 9:49:12 pm

Biggest issue I see is that your computer, OS and version of FCP are old. If you intend to run ProTools as well as FCP, then Walters idea of having totally separate boot drives, one with FCP and the other just for audio makes sense.

Focusrite make excellent mic pre's but their gear may not be compatible with such old OS and G5 computers so you have to start with compatibility for that machine, not relying on Apples website. In their world, everyone has moved to Lion & FCPX. Contact Focusrite and check compatibility with them.

Return to posts index

Mary Beth Koplin
on Jan 31, 2012 at 10:18:32 pm

I didn't update my gear on my profile yet, sorry, i should have.
I now have a mac pro and Mac 10.6.8. I have been avoiding going to Lion and FCPX because of the expense, etc. I guess I will have to do that at some point.

Mac OS 10.4.11
Processor - Dual 1.8 GHx PowerPC G5
Memory 1.25 GB DDR SDRAM

Software:
Final Cut Pro 5.1

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 31, 2012 at 10:42:53 pm

If and when you go to Lion & X then definitely have a new boot drive and keep it separate from legacy FCP and ProTools.

If you only need the Focusrite for ProTools then you could unplug it when using FCP if it is interfering. Personally I would not advise running both ProTools and FCP legacy on the same boot drive. I am a big fan of keeping professional apps on dedicated machines. Instability and faffing around with compatibilities wastes more time that another machine costs.

ProTools will run on a PC and getting a dedicated PC & ProTools running will be cheaper than running two Macs.

Return to posts index

Andrew Johnstone
on Sep 21, 2012 at 12:39:50 pm

i am also looking for audio solutions for FCP, hoping to improve my audio capture capability for v/o and also have more flexibility monitoring sound out via studio monitors (rather than being confined to headphones)

I currently have a USB condenser mic which is fine, but I want to get rid of the lag with a decent mic/preamp.

The focusrite 2i2 looks fine, but it does not seem to work with FCP for monitoring audio out of the system.

Am I right in thinking that the mackie onyx balckjack does? In other words, can I use that box as my default audio out from the mac to adequately monitor audio from the FCP timeline during the edit?

Currently running FCP 7.latest on MBP. Lion OS.

Thanks

Andy Johnstone
Wild Dog Limited
film & multimedia production
http://www.wilddogworld.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Johnstone
on Oct 21, 2012 at 7:05:09 am

I looked into this issue in some detail and eventually came up with a great solution - the Focusrite 2i2!

Far from being the wrong thing, the Focusrite works brilliantly with FCP7, in fact it works so well, I am kicking myself for not picking one up sooner! I am now able to monitor my audio directly from the timeline, both through my new studio speakers and through the headphones. The Focusrite has a nice chunky volume knob for the main speaker output and the layout means that the box can sit discretely on my desk, where a mixer might dominate completely.

The Focusrite has 2 audio inputs, phantom powering my v/o mic and now I can record v/o direct to the FCP time line with no perceptible audio lag and at proper volume levels. My previous USB mic seems to mash the audio level, requiring me to add about 130% gain in the FCP v/o tool. The clarity of the recording is great, so it is doing the job right out of the box. Could not be happier!

Andy Johnstone
Wild Dog Limited
film & multimedia production
http://www.wilddogworld.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]