FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple Cameras (including Arri Alexa), Frame Rates and FCP Workflow Advice

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Tarroza
Multiple Cameras (including Arri Alexa), Frame Rates and FCP Workflow Advice
on Jan 30, 2012 at 8:45:50 pm

Fairly new to working with a variety of footage so I would appreciate some advice on the best way to handle this upcoming project I have.

We are shooting a commercial that will take place in different locations using different cameras: a 7D, Panasonic AF100, and even an Arri Alexa, something I've never worked with.

The DP is asking little old me for specs, specifically frame rates. The broadcast station we send our spots to requests 59.94 fps digital files (no tapes thank God!), so should I tell the DP to film everything 59.94fpst? What happens if I get a mix of frame rates and I end up exporting as 59.94, how does that affect the video? I don't think there will be any dialogue so I don't have to worry about syncing issues. Should I request not to film in 24fps

As for the Alexa, I requested to shoot at 1080p ProRes 4444 at 60fps. I might end up slow-mo'ing some of the footage so 60fps should be helpful. After doing some digging, there are other things associated with Arri's that I still do not understand, for instance Log C. What exactly is this and will I be running into this when I get into colour correcting?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Multiple Cameras (including Arri Alexa), Frame Rates and FCP Workflow Advice
on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:45:49 am

Alexa is the only camera that can shoot @ 60p.

With those three cameras shoot 1080p 23.976 or 29.97.

59.94i fields per second in broadcast is 29.97 frames per second.

29.97 is probably the best for you if you aren't sure how to add pulldown.

LogC is a gamma/color space which protects highlights as shadows and allows you to get the most out of a color grade. If you are unsure about it, you can shoot in 709 which is regular HD color space. If you are mixing all those cameras, 709 might be the better choice instead of LogC, as the other cameras will be closer to 709.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]