FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will Canon 100XF & 5DMKII footage work on multiclip?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Giles
Will Canon 100XF & 5DMKII footage work on multiclip?
on Jan 30, 2012 at 7:35:10 pm

I recently shot a presentation using a Canon XA10 and Canon 5DMKII. After importing footage, I discovered that I was not able to use multiclip to edit footage from both cameras simultaneously. After researching, I now understand why because of the pixel sizes are different. I'm still kind of confused about how or why exactly Canon uses a stretched 1440 x 1080 to make a 1920 x 1080. And if there is a way to get around this to use multiclip for editing. Is this standard for all AVCHD footage?

My other question is: Does the Canon xf100/105 have the same stretched pixel or does it deliver a true 1920 x 1080?

Also, is there any recommendations on Pluraleyes/multiclip workflow. I read elsewhere that there is a conflict when a multiclip is used on a sequenced that has been synced with Pluraleyes.

I have to shoot another job in a couple of weeks and need to rent a camera. I like the XF100 because I can use all my CF cards for memory. But the inability to use multiclip is deal breaker.

Thanks
Chris

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Will Canon 100XF & 5DMKII footage work on multiclip?
on Jan 30, 2012 at 7:51:14 pm

To use Multiclip, all the footage has to be identical in its codec (preferably ProRes 422), horizontal & vertical resolution, pixel aspect ratio and frame rate. You can use Compressor or MPEG Streamclip to do this.

But by far the easiest way to ensure Multipclip will work is to shoot with identical cameras.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Giles
on Jan 30, 2012 at 8:19:03 pm

Thanks Dave for your quick reply! Let me back up a bit.

All footage from both cameras was Log & Transfered into a ProRes422. The footage from the Canon XA10 is 1440 x 1080 yet fills the 1920 x 1080 FullHD screen. I'm guessing that it is due to the pixels being rectangular rather than square. Correct?

Is it even possible to change the pixel dimension without distorting the image or reducing the XA10 footage to 4:3?

AVCHD footage can't be processed by MPEG streamclip. Would you recommend that I log & transfer the footage > export a .mov file > process in MPEG streamclip > then reimport the processed footage back into FCP

What settings would be applied to alter the pixels?

If compressor was to be used(seems to be more simple than MPEG Streamclip), what settings would you suggest?

I totally agree that using the same type of camera would be the ultimate solution. Unfortunately, for this job, it isn't feasible.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 30, 2012 at 8:43:44 pm

I didn't know MPEG Streamclip wouldn't work on AVCHD. Huh.

Well, then make everything 1920x1080, or 1280x720 in ProRes 422 using Compressor. And the same frame rate if it isn't already.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Russ Haskell
on Jan 30, 2012 at 10:55:19 pm

Just regarding part of your question: the XF100 can shoot either 1920 or 1440x 1080…also 720p.

And I've found multi cam edits fine with Plural Eyes synced material.

Russ

Return to posts index

Chris Giles
on Jan 30, 2012 at 11:09:11 pm

Russ-

I guess my question regarding the cameras is: does the XF100 have the same pixel dimension as a 5DMKII? The AX10 has a rectangular pixel that is technically a 1440 x 1080 but views as 1920 x 1080 or Full HD. It kind of seems like they are cheating or stretching the pixels to achieve Full HD. Maybe the larger pixels are a product of AVCHD to achieve greater compressibility?

I believe the pixels of a 5DmkII are square. That is where the muticlip problem comes in. A 5DmkII is 1920 x 1080 and the AX10 is 1440 x 1080. Multiclip doesn't like that and won't function.

When I look at specs on the XF100 and AX10, I can't tell if they use a different pixel dimension.

I'm relatively new to all of this so I'm not sure. I've been trying different settings with the footage that I shot on the last round, but have not come across any solutions.

Thanks to all for any insight.

Return to posts index

Russ Haskell
on Jan 30, 2012 at 11:59:00 pm

I should have been clearer. Yes the pixel aspect ratios are the same for both cameras – square for 1920X1080…but non-square in the case of the XF's 1440 mode.

Russ

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:45:20 pm

I just packed an XF100 up to go out yesterday, and I've got a 60D on my desk at the moment. They all shoot 1920x1080 "full raster" HD. The full raster means they use square pixels.

The XF series cameras will shoot 1920 if you have them at 50mbps. If you drop down to 35mbps they'll shoot thin raster 1440x1080. I haven't tried the 25mbps setting, although I assume it is thin raster.

Also, check your Preferences at the Log and Transfer window when bringing XF footage in. Preferences is hiding under the gear icons. You'll want to bring it in as ProRes422, not Native. Just like the EOS cameras the XF cameras are newer than Final Cut Pro, so you'll need to install a plugin to use them with Log and Transfer.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:52:38 pm

Now I can say Upgrade to FCPX v10.0.3 and you can do this. Without transcoding to the same format, frame size or frame rates.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Chris Giles
on Jan 31, 2012 at 7:14:13 pm

Thank you Jeff! That answered my question exactly and educated me on the correct raster terminology. I appreciate it.

Is the only purpose of shooting at a lower MBPS to save space on memory or are there other advantages. It would seem ideal to shoot at 50MBPS all the time for highest quality.

Steve - I'm stoked to use FCPX when all the bugs and features are finally worked out. I think it will be good but I can't afford to waste time on it while there are still issues. Can't wait though. I personally really like the UI and program.

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Jan 31, 2012 at 7:57:42 pm

Generally speaking 50mbps is the setting you should use. If you're covering a long event and quality isn't paramount you can drop down, but CF media is cheap. If you're shooting an XF against the XA-10 shooting at 35mbps would give you two cameras that match at 1440.

Also, if you want to go to an XF camera Final Cut X isn't an option. I haven't heard a timetable, or a good workaround from Apple or Canon.
Multicam is new to FCX as of a few hours ago, and it supports mixed media. I didn't look too closely. Lacking the ability to open .fcp files it's about as useful to me as Sony Vegas.

Return to posts index

Tom Tampus
on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:45:54 pm

hi jeff, i have the xf100 & xa10 shot at 1920 x 1080 30p ingest to prores 422 but when i make multicam edit it's asking me to render. I check the footage xf 16mbps and xa is 16mbps im wandering if its reason?

Return to posts index

Tom Tampus
on Feb 15, 2012 at 8:11:12 pm

correction xa10 is 17mbps

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]