FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 - SHIFT+X only moves some tracks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arturo Glass
FCP 7 - SHIFT+X only moves some tracks
on Jan 30, 2012 at 7:24:30 pm

When I cut a clip and have a multi-track timeline, I like to use SHIFT+X to delete the piece and shift everything back to fill the gap. But sometimes only some tracks are affected by this and my tracks get out of sync. Is there another way of doing this same thing, but maintaining all my tracks in sync?

Return to posts index

Michael Griggs
Re: FCP 7 - SHIFT+X only moves some tracks
on Jan 30, 2012 at 8:20:46 pm

I find this same thing happens when I try to ripple cut (shift+x) with multiple tracks. It's not really something that (as far as I know) has a "fix" per se...

My workaround when this happens is to simply cut (command+x) the offending clips rather than using ripple cut. I then place the playhead in the gap and use control-g to close the gap, thus leaving everything properly in sync.

Yes, it's an extra step or two, but it still beats having to use magnetic storylines.... ;-)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 30, 2012 at 10:09:52 pm

As long as you don't lock tracks and keep all the autoselect buttons on everything should ripple. If tracks are locked they'll stay put. If autoselect buttons aren't all on, then it'll just remove a chunk, but not ripple.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 30, 2012 at 10:17:36 pm

Ah wait, I see what you're doing. Not really a bug, but a different function. Shift X (or shift delete) a selected clip is pretty much the "magnetic timeline" function in FCP. Or an early incarnation. This will delete the clip, and ripple everything down that it can. It WILL NOT slice through any clips to achieve this. It considers everything before the edit area grouped kinda like FCP. Everything to the right is fair game. Pretty much don't use this. You're better off pressing X first, or manually marking your ins and outs, and then pressing shift X or shift delete. That will slice through everything. If all the autoselects are on, it will slice through everything and remove and ripple the section. If all the autoselectects aren't on, it will be the same as a delete function, leaving a hole. Also need to make sure no clips are selected or obviously you'll get the problem you were having.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]