FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on project much needed!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russ Carlin
Advice on project much needed!
on Jan 30, 2012 at 1:10:08 pm

Hi,

I'm currently working on a project which is a short video documenting some charity work. I shot in 2 different settings on a JVC HM750E proHD, which were:

Pal format

1) 59.94fps - 1280x720 no dominance
2) 29.97fps - 1920x1080 upper dominance

What advice would you give me for editing in FCP? Do i need to make ny conversions or have certain settings for my timeline?

I'm also going to me needing a copy for DVD and also web. Is there any advice on that particular process? (i know how to use compressor, just meaning that i may not know of issues it may cause!)

Any help would mean the world to me!

Russ

Carrrrrrr Carrrrrrrrrrrrr

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Advice on project much needed!
on Jan 30, 2012 at 5:52:20 pm

Um, those frame rates have nothing to do with PAL. They're NTSC.

If I were you, I'd cut in a 720 59.94 ProRes 422 timeline, and at the end of the project, esport a self-contained QT movie and use Compressor to convert to 720p50.

Or just leave the thing at 720p 59.94: you can easily make a widescreen NTSC DVD, and the preponderance of DVD players can play it. It's also not a bad frame rate for Web Video, but if you want the file size smaller, you could also use 29.97 with no ill effects.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Russ Carlin
on Jan 30, 2012 at 6:11:34 pm

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply!

I'm based in the UK so just assumed it would be PAL!

So when you say cut in a ProRes 422 timeline, do you mean have the sequence set to that before i start importing clips to my bin/adding them to timeline?

This may seem a stupid question, being fairly inexperienced compared to a lot of others i'm not sure what the benefits of using ProRes are? Seems that a lot of people like using it but ive never tried.

Also am i right in thinking i cant burn HD to DVD to i'd need to convert to SD? Unless i burn it to Blu Ray?

Once again, thanks for your time. Very helpful! :-)

Russ

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 30, 2012 at 7:58:49 pm

ProRes 422 is FCP's editing codec of choice. It's an excellent codec, combining fine image quality and comparatively small file size. I'm saying you should convert your footage to it prior to editing.

And since FCP Legacy is based on very old code, it can't handle temporally-compressed codecs or anything other than quicktime movies.

Compressor can make the necessary MPEG2 & AC3 files for authoring in DVD Studio Pro. Simply make certain to tell DVDSP that you are making a 16x9 DVD in the project settings.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Russ Carlin
on Jan 30, 2012 at 9:28:13 pm

Ok cool, how would you convert them? They're .MOV files on an external hard drive.

Russ

Return to posts index

Russ Carlin
on Jan 31, 2012 at 2:15:06 pm

Used the Mpeg streamclip to convert to ProRes 422 and the footage i shot in progressive, i uncheck the deinteraced scaling box. Do i leave it check for the footage i shot interlaced?

Thanks for all your help!

Russ

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 30, 2012 at 6:05:53 pm

Well it depends on what format your client is requesting. But the only sequence that will handle those two natively and correctly in Final Cut Pro (other apps, including FCP X mix and match fine) is a 720p60 sequence. Both formats are 60 images per second, and last time I checked, FCP actually does separate the two fields of the 1080i and maps them to separate frames of the 60p sequence. The opposite is not true. If you place the 60p footage in an interlaced sequence it will not map the frames to fields and interlace. It will simply drop every other frame, giving you a gap in the temporal info and giving the footage a very high speed shutter look. But sometimes, 720p60 is actually 720p30 with duplicated frames. In which case you could edit in a 1080i sequence.

Return to posts index

Russ Carlin
on Jan 30, 2012 at 9:29:23 pm

Hi Bret, thanks for the advice.

The other person who has replied strongly recommends prores, do you use that codec?

Russ

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:50:51 am

ProRes 422 for everything. My work is mostly high-end corporate (don't bother looking at my 10 year old website!), but 422 will cover the occasional local commercial or PBS broadcast. Lately the work has been lots of After Effects mixed with really nice 5D or 7D stuff transcoded to 422 or sometimes Varicam shot directly to the KiPro as 422 ProRes.

In fact, the most recent project was shot Varicam, and I was on set. We decided on 720p30 and thought that was what was going on the KiPro. When I got the files, they were 720p60. I'm no expert on the KiPro, but it was set 720p60, but the camera itself shot 720p30 (onto DVCProHD tapes) and when I looked at the files, they indeed were 720p30, but every frame was repeated to make it p60. A 720p30 timeline just removed every other frame which is what I wanted.

I gotta upload some stuff or redo my site or something. We've been doing some really fun (for corporate) stuff lately.

Return to posts index

Russ Carlin
Re: outcome
on Feb 1, 2012 at 1:04:05 pm

Ok so i converted all the footage to prores 422 (unchecked the interlacing box for the progressive footage, left it checked for the interlaced footage). Scaled the bigger footage down to 720 and had my FCP timeline sequences set to prores 422 and its fantastic. I haven't finished editing yet so will report back with the outcome of my final output.

Cheers for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]