FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting Files for FCP 7 using Handbrake

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Burgoon
Converting Files for FCP 7 using Handbrake
on Jan 30, 2012 at 4:06:16 am

Hey there, I was going to cut a spec commercial for something I was working on, and the files I downloaded are:

Format : XviD
File size: 175 MiB avg. per episode
Duration : 22 min avg. per episode
Width : 624 pixels
Height : 352 pixels
Aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Audio: MP3

Now, I'm assuming I'll have to convert these to something easily workable in FCP, but I'm not sure what. Is there a format that I should always strive to convert my files to? Its a question I've asked before, but never got a real straight answer. I'm trying to standardize my workflow and having a system where I know what needs to be converted to what would help greatly.

Thanks in advance!

V/R
Matthew Burgoon

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Converting Files for FCP 7 using Handbrake
on Jan 30, 2012 at 4:18:33 am

[Matthew Burgoon] "Is there a format that I should always strive to convert my files to?"

Yes...and the list is in the EASY SETUPS. The closest to this will be DV/NTSC, but the pixel dimensions are different. FCP is designed to work with broadcast formats, and 16:9 full raster (not anamorphic) at 23.98 is not a broadcast format. So not sure how it will actually turn out. And HANDBRAKE is not the app for this, that is for ripping videos for iPad, Iphone, ipod and Apple TV. MPEG STREAMCLIP is the better option. But again, full raster 16:9 at 23.98...there is no compatible FCP codec for this.

FCP is the wrong app to try to edit this with. Adobe Premiere would be a better bet.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matthew Burgoon
on Jan 30, 2012 at 6:02:53 am

There would be no way to make it work in FCP? I don't have access to Premiere.

V/R
Matthew Burgoon

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 30, 2012 at 7:05:51 am

Try...you can always try. Not sure I can give you the exact settings to use, as there is no full raster 16x9 settings. Try a few options, see what you get. Won't be easy, but you can do some trial and error and see what you get.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matthew Burgoon
on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:10:27 am

Hey there,

Quick update, my files were formatted xvid, and were not playing in MPEG Streamclip, so I couldn't convert them. So I downloaded a program called Perian "The Swiss Army Knife for Quicktime" and they started playing in MPEG Streamclip. Now to see if I can actually convert them into a workable format for editing.

I figured I would post my progress, any info is good info.

V/R
Matthew Burgoon

-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Return to posts index

Matthew Burgoon
on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:19:05 am

Okay, i managed to convert it using MPEG Streamclip to a Apple Pro Res 422 Proxy (Which I've been told is a good editable codec) from a xvid format, and it appears to be working fine now.

V/R
Matthew Burgoon

-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]