FORUMS: list search recent posts

reframe footage - exporting 1080p to 720p

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Coates
reframe footage - exporting 1080p to 720p
on Jan 29, 2012 at 3:09:30 pm

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if someone can offer me a little advise on a couple of questions I have regarding fcp7

Source footage is 1080p from a Canon cam that I have converted to ProRes442HQ - I will be exporting in 720p as this is mainly for youtube and potentially broadcast stations that only use 720p footage. The sequence is at 1080p like the footage.

When shooting in 1080p I was under the impression that I could scale the shots I took and 'reframe' them slightly without quality loss as I would be exporting to 720p (as long as I didn't zoom in beyond the 720p frame) - is that correct?

Currently my video is pretty much edited and all chopped up but I want to zoom in slightly on a couple of shots, Can I confirm if (using wireframe) I zoom in and reposition the shots, they won't lose quality as the export will still be below the amount of lines there? Is that correct?

The second question I have is about repositioning the clips I want, I used all still (locked off) shots when filming and want to ensure that a particular shot that I'm about to zoom in on has the same zoom applied to all of the clips. In my timeline this particular shot is cut up into 15 small clips - I tried selecting them all and repositioning the clip how I wanted it but it wouldn't do them all at the same time, it would only do that one clip but I need all these to look the same. How can I select all the 15 clips and make them all the same size?

Thanks for reading, hope this all makes sense, I don't know all the correct terminology!
Michael

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: reframe footage - exporting 1080p to 720p
on Jan 29, 2012 at 5:43:06 pm

[Michael Coates] "When shooting in 1080p I was under the impression that I could scale the shots I took and 'reframe' them slightly without quality loss as I would be exporting to 720p (as long as I didn't zoom in beyond the 720p frame) - is that correct?"
No.
Your sequence is 1080, so whatever the size you export will be rendered at that size.
You can reframe of zoom without loses if you edit in a 720 sequence the 1080 stuff.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Coates
on Jan 29, 2012 at 6:06:55 pm

I've done my entire edit in a 1080 sequence, Can I simply change the sequence setting without losing all my work?

Thanks for the reply, though I am worried now :(

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jan 29, 2012 at 6:37:22 pm

Create a NEW sequence in 720p.
Copy everything in the 1080 sequence and paste it into the new one.

You will have to resize all the shots...

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Michael Coates
on Jan 29, 2012 at 6:45:59 pm

That might not be the end of the world if I could just figure out how to select everything in a video track and resize them all at the same time. Is that possible?

Weirdly when I went to make a new sequence it came up automatically with the right settings for 720p and when I imported everything from seq1 to seq2 roughly half need resizing while the rest don't at all. How very strange...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 30, 2012 at 1:02:34 am

Sorta true, but it's the same difference. If you blow up a shot in the 1080 sequence, giving it essentially only 720 lines of resolution it will look fuzzy compared to the others. But if you then export the whole thing to 720p, the other shots get knocked down th 720p as well, and the blown up shots pretty much now look like the others. BUT THEN, as most TVs are 1080, it's all gonna get blown up again.

But the truth is, FCP is so bad at scaling in any direction that if you mess with the scale at all, it's gonna get at least a little mushy. I recently was editing 1080p into a 720p sequence. The 1080 clips come in at 67% scale and so if you blow them up to 100% they should be sharp as a tack and pixel for pixel, but they're not. They look a little fuzzy even in that scenario. In After Effects the above concepts work beautifully. In FCP? Not as much.

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Jan 30, 2012 at 9:15:14 am

and as for your question about applying transformations to multiple clips - yes you can.

Simply apply the changes you want to one clip. Then select and copy that clip. Then select all the clips you want to affect and use the Paste Attributes command ( cant remember which dropdown its under as im not in front of FCP). You will be shown a box full of options - choose the attributes you want to apply and hit ok.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

Michael Coates
on Jan 30, 2012 at 6:33:40 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice. Adam, that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Great stuff!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]