FORUMS: list search recent posts

WD TV media player export

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zackery Bent
WD TV media player export
on Jan 27, 2012 at 8:40:21 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone give me advice on the best/smartest export settings for and H.264 file using FCP or Compressor for the WD TV media player?

My video is XDCAM EX 1080p24, about an hour in length with no audio.

Much appreciated!

Zack

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: WD TV media player export
on Jan 27, 2012 at 9:13:20 pm

Are there any playback device limitations on the file's bit rate?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Zackery Bent
on Jan 27, 2012 at 9:18:36 pm

From what I am reading 15mbps is good. If that number increases you get into stuttering issues especially over 20mbps.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Jan 27, 2012 at 9:23:01 pm

I always just use the Apple TV 2 preset. However, it's only 720 not 1080. It runs at bit rate of 10. I use my WDTV on a 720 TV so it's not a big deal to me, it might be to you though.

Return to posts index

Zackery Bent
on Jan 28, 2012 at 12:17:21 am

Sounds like a good place to start from- thanks Jeremy!

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 28, 2012 at 1:27:56 am

I use a legacy version of the WDTV, the one before all of the network connectivity stuff they introduced.

Almost 2 years ago, I wanted to discover the limitation of the box, so I did multiple tests and I was able to run h264 in .mov container at 45Mbps without any issues on playback (from USB drive). I didn't go any higher...because that is more than enough and reaches the limitation of Blu-ray in terms of bit-rate.

The only tweaky things I did discover was in using my Matrox MAX accellerated compression...if I compressed with the generic mp4 compression setting in Compressor, it worked fine. If I used the Matrox codec to encode to, I had audio cutting out with bit-rates above 3-4Mbps (using AAC audio) other audio codecs worked fine. I tracked this down to the fact that "hinted streaming" needed to be enabled. I think this was only a limitation when using the Matrox hardware to speed up compression from what I remember. The Matrox folks were awesome in helping me track that problem down.

My company uses these for tradeshow video playback...so I have developed a clean workflow for encoding for them.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Zackery Bent
on Jan 28, 2012 at 5:52:12 pm

Thanks all for the great feedback!

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jan 28, 2012 at 12:54:12 am

I use M2t instead of H.264 with fairly high bit-rates (25-30 mbps). When I first got my WDTV, I did some experimenting with H.264 files, and for some reason, the player wouldn't give me audio, so I gave up and went with M2t, which has worked great ever since.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]