FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixing XDCAM EX, HDV, and Apple OpenDML JPEG

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Neufeld
Mixing XDCAM EX, HDV, and Apple OpenDML JPEG
on Jan 26, 2012 at 6:24:45 pm

Hi, I'm about to start editing a project in FCP that uses a mix of different formats. Unfortunately I have 3 different types of footage. Wondering if I could get some advice from anyone who knows more than I do about this.

I have
20 hours of HDV 1440 x 1080 at 29.97
4.5 hours of XDCAM EX 1920 x 1080 at 23.98
.5 hours of Apple OpenDML JPEG 1920 x 1080 at 29.97

I understand that I will have issues if I mix these as they are. Does is make sense to recompress the XDCAM and the JPEG footage to HDV at 1440 x 1090 at 29.97 since that is what the majority of my footage is already at? Or would I be better off using something else for everything? Also, any advice on my FCP sequence settings? I've read people recommend editing HDV footage on a Prores timeline.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ben

Ben

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Mixing XDCAM EX, HDV, and Apple OpenDML JPEG
on Jan 26, 2012 at 6:30:51 pm

Use a ProRes 422 timeline...not HDV. When mixing formats, ProRes 422 is the way to go. TRUST me on this one. After trying to mix 8 formats on an XDCAM timeline and getting tons of crashes, we switched to ProRes and didn't suffer one.

Biggest issue will be mixing FRAME RATES. The HDV and JPEG ones are both 29.97...and the vast majority is 29.97, so what you should do is convert the XDCAM to ProRes, and at 29.97.

23.98 to 29.97 via Compressor:

1. Drop clips you want to convert into Compressor

2. In Compressor, select your video then right click and choose NEW TARGET WITH SETTING > APPLE > FORMATS > QUICKTIME > APPLE PRORES 422 (HQ). Or pick whatever codec you like to work with.

3. Click on that newly created compression setting to open it in the Inspector window. Click the Encoder tab. Click the Video: (Settingsā€¦) button. Make the frame rate 29.97. Check the interlaced box. Set it's drop down menu to Bottom field first (or make it progressive if you want to keep it progressive. But if the rest of your footage is interlaced, this will work well). Click OK.

4. Click the Frame Controls tab. Set Frame Controls to On. Set Output Fields to Bottom first. Leave Deinterlace on Fast. Leave Adaptive Details checked. Leave Rate Conversion set to Fast. Leave the Set Duration to: on 100% and make sure it's radio button is selected and NOT the "so source frames play at 29.97 fps" button.

5. Make changes to the Filters or Geometry sections as needed. Those settings listed above are the ones critical to getting the proper 3:2 pulldown added.

6. Submit the compression, then bring the resulting video back into Final Cut Pro. Place it in a 29.97 timeline and make sure you watch it on an NTSC monitor to verify that it looks good. If you step through it frame-by-frame you should see the familiar pattern of 2 split/interlaced frames followed by 3 whole frames. This is a very important step. I tried many solutions that looked OK playing back on the computer monitor, but looked terrible on the NTSC monitor.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ben Neufeld
on Jan 26, 2012 at 6:39:45 pm

Thanks so much for the detailed walkthrough!

My only question is will I have trouble with mixing the 1440 x 1080 with 1920 x 1080?

Ben

Ben

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 26, 2012 at 6:43:20 pm

[Ben Neufeld] "My only question is will I have trouble with mixing the 1440 x 1080 with 1920 x 1080?"

Nope. The ProRes sequence will be 1920x1080, and FCP will stretch the 1440 material to fill the screen, and it will look normal.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ben Neufeld
on Jan 26, 2012 at 6:44:25 pm

Thanks, Shane

Ben

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Feb 23, 2012 at 8:33:22 pm

3. Click on that newly created compression setting to open it in the Inspector window. Click the Encoder tab. Click the Video: (Settingsā€¦) button. Make the frame rate 29.97. Check the interlaced box. Set it's drop down menu to Bottom field first (or make it progressive if you want to keep it progressive. But if the rest of your footage is interlaced, this will work well). Click OK.

Shane, I just got done asking Jeremy this question about adding in pulldown. I know you answered a question a few weeks back for me as well similar to this. But when adding pulldown to 23.98 1080 material, can you make the resulting clip a progressive 29.97? Like you mention above.

I have a 1080p29.97 sequence from a XDCam EX3 camera. I need to add some finished spots we have to the edit. Those are ProRes 23.98. I was going to add in pulldown using your above method, but that will give me Interlaced footage and I want progressive.

reference: at bottom
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1136496

OS 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 4 gb ram and AJA IoHD

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 23, 2012 at 8:39:33 pm

[Matt Campbell] "But when adding pulldown to 23.98 1080 material, can you make the resulting clip a progressive 29.97? Like you mention above."

No. It won't be smooth at all. It will be three different frames then two frames that repeat... There is no way to make up 6 frames per second that do not exist. 23.98 to 29.97 interlaced works well as it splits up frames across fields, so that each frame does advance...does have a change in picture. There is no smooth way to convert 23.98 to 29.97 progressive.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Feb 23, 2012 at 8:47:36 pm

Thought so. But if I place the converted 29.97 with 3:2 in my 29.97p sequence with the XDCam footage, will they play nice? Or should I just drop the 23.98 material into the 29.97p edit and let FCP add in the incorrect 4:2 and be done with it.

These camera formats really mess things up. Why bother making cameras shoot progressive 29.97 or 30p if thats supposed to be an interlaced format. It gets confusing with P2 shooting PN and Sony with 29.97p and others as well.

OS 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 4 gb ram and AJA IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]