FORUMS: list search recent posts

Song XDCam EX EX3 footage?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
Song XDCam EX EX3 footage?
on Jan 26, 2012 at 3:26:17 pm

So I have some XDCAM EX footage at 1920x1080p30. The footage shows up in FCP as 29.97 Progressive footage. My question is, is this correct? I know typically you'd think this footage was interlaced but as I step through I have clean progressive frames. And traditional thinking tells me that for progressive, this should be 30p not 29.97.

Is this XDCAM footage similar to the DVX 200 that shoots 720p30PN. Having progressive footage at a frame rate of 29.97?

So my sequence in FCP 7 is just XDCAM 1080p29.97, correct?

OS 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 4 gb ram and AJA IoHD

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Song XDCam EX EX3 footage?
on Jan 26, 2012 at 4:03:23 pm

30p is progressive...and it runs at 29.97. No matter what, if your frame rate is 30fps, it runs at 29.97. And this is due to a highly technical issue that came about when color was introduced to video. This is why we have drop frame time code, so that timings are still accurate.

30p is 29.97.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jan 26, 2012 at 4:32:15 pm

Thought so. that whole drop frame, non drop frame things confuses me too, but I'll do some reading up on that. thx Shane.

Just thought it might have been like the old Canon 5D 30p thing. where it was actually 30 fps before the fireware update happened a few years back. That gave me some nasty sync issues.

thx again.

OS 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 4 gb ram and AJA IoHD

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 26, 2012 at 5:24:52 pm

Yeah...I can see the confusion then. The Canon 30p was 30fps straight up, because it was never intended to be used to shoot video for TV in any accurate way. It was a feature intended for news photographers to be able to get video when needed.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]