FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor Confusion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy Stephans
Compressor Confusion
on Jan 26, 2012 at 2:50:58 am

I'm working on some short clips shot with a JVC -GM-100U, captured in the MOV format / container.

Making h.264/mov at 8000mbps limit, Best quality (2-pass) and the drop down set to "Optimize for Download"

The results are 720P clips, around five minutes long. Just one problem.

When played in Windows Media Player (core codec installed) they play and look great. XP machine or Win 7 machine, look and play great.

Same machine when played in Quicktime Pro (updated) two things happen.

(1) When opened the mouse cursor stays as an hour glass. If I click on the play arrow the video does start to play.

(2) Once the video does start to play in QT it jitters and jumps for first few seconds, then plays great and looks great.

Taking the clips back to the MAC it is created on and playing in QT results in the issue (1) going away, but issue (2) remains.

Both Windows and MAC versions of QT are up to date and if Movie Inspector is used it shows playing smooth at 30fps.

File sizes are in the 155mb to 220mb range. Happens all files created using those compressor settings. Intent of these clips is to be downloaded and played from local drive. I'm wondering if the Optimize for Download setting should be "Streaming" to help with that start issue?

Anybody have any tips?

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Compressor Confusion
on Jan 26, 2012 at 3:43:36 am

If they are to be played from a driver you don't need to optimize them for download, neither for streaming.
If the files will be played on PC, you might try MP4/h264.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jimmy Stephans
on Jan 26, 2012 at 3:58:41 am

Thanks - but I'm now more confused. It appears that I must select to optimize for one or the other. I tried uploading a screen shot, but it doesn't seem to appear.

In any case - if I select 2-pass it activates the optimize option (defaulting to download).

I also tried the .mp4 method and get exact same result.

Still puzzled.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 26, 2012 at 7:47:14 am

I guess you meant the data rate 8.000Kbps.
At that data rate you get exactly 1MB/s, that plus the audio should yield more than 300MB for a 5 minutes file.
How are you setting the Key Frames?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]