FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro Quicktime Files to PC

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eric Thompson
Final Cut Pro Quicktime Files to PC
on Jan 25, 2012 at 6:56:59 pm

I know, I know , I know. This is probably in the wrong place but there isn't a forum category for moronic questions.
I have Final Cut Pro and need to put large files on to a portable hard drive that will eventually be offloaded on to a PC. Is there such a tool that you'd recommend? I'm not looking for a desktop but a portable 1tb. I have a portable that is not compatible with my Mac and right on the box it says it's for PC. I kinda thought storage was storage, but I guess I was 90 dollars worth of wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Final Cut Pro Quicktime Files to PC
on Jan 25, 2012 at 7:16:10 pm

Chances are you can reformat that drive you have to be a Mac drive.

Open the dive utility app in the utilities folder in your apps folder. Reformat that drive to be Mac OS Extended.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Jan 26, 2012 at 12:08:29 am

Mac OS Extended is only viewable if you're bootcamping or if you install software on the PC.

I like the exFAT partition for cross-platform uses. Both can read and write, and it supports large files. Support begins at 10.6.5 on the Mac side, and at XP w/ Service Pack 2 on the Windows side.

For codecs, unless otherwise specified, It's hard to go wrong with ProRes422 if the PC has a current version of Quicktime, or Animation if you need alpha.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 25, 2012 at 7:37:09 pm

What format? Many codecs are only viewable if you have FCP: HDV, XDCAM, DVCPRO HD.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jimmy Stephans
on Jan 26, 2012 at 3:00:45 am

I have drives I take back and forth between MACs and Windows machines often.

The trick was to have a PC (NTFS) drive, and use a program on the MAC to help read/write to it.

In my photo studio we use this:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24481/ntfs-3g

My girlfriend uses something called MacDrive to have her MacBook Pro, Win 7 machine and even her X-Box360 be able to deal with each other streaming stuff.

Not sure her solution solves your problem, but the one in that link lets me unplug a USB 2.0 external drive from my MAC and take it and the files it wrote to my Windows 7 machines.

Jimmy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]