FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD to SD DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chip Hess
HD to SD DVD
on Jan 25, 2012 at 5:03:32 pm

I shot a project using the client's Pana AVCHD camera, 1080 60i. However, they want it delivered SD on DVD's. Shooting SD was not an option.

My timeline is set to 720 and am Logging and Transferring using ProRes 422 LT. Would you cut it this way and then down-rez to 480 when exporting for DVD, or reset sequences to SD to begin with?

I did experiment briefly with a DV 720 X 480 timeline, but was getting some jaggies I think due to differing pixels sizes.

Thoughts ...?

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
Re: HD to SD DVD
on Jan 25, 2012 at 5:33:32 pm

Personally, I would say to go with the full frame size (using Prores) for the edit, and use compressor to create your DVD files for dvdsp after its all done.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 25, 2012 at 5:34:13 pm

What's up Chip

Edit everything in HD then export QT movie and drop that into Compressor and make an SD DVD. Make sure 16:9 is selected in the aspect ratio (Inspector/Video Format). Easy way to do this is click on the gear.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 25, 2012 at 5:37:00 pm

[Chip Hess] "I shot a project using the client's Pana AVCHD camera, 1080 60i.... My timeline is set to 720 and am Logging and Transferring using ProRes 422 LT."

Why not work at 1080? It's the resolution of your footage, correct?

When you're done, export the timeline as a self-contained QT for use in Compressor to make the m2v & ac3 files for DVD authoring.

Don't forget these two things:
1) Tell the authoring application that you're making a widescreen DVD.
2) You're making a standard-definition DVD. It won't have the resolution of the original HD footage. That's why they call it HIGH definition and STANDARD definition.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chip Hess
on Jan 25, 2012 at 6:13:58 pm

Thanks fellas! Thought 720 might be easier in terms of machine performance, but everyone seems to agree!

I will indeed just knock it down in export. I know we are losing quality, but it is for a huge sales meeting and they don't have the budget for HD projection, just SD. At least we they will have the original project and footage archived at full rez.

SIGH.

Return to posts index

Drake Hale
on Jan 25, 2012 at 6:32:31 pm

Here's a great walkthrough on how to do the above described compression HD to SD DVD, you can ignore that its for HDV

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/hdv_to_sd_dvd.html

"It's all about keyframes"
Anonymous

2011 3.2GHz 27" iMac, Final Cut Studio 2, Adobe CS4

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 25, 2012 at 10:18:53 pm

Your link didn't work for me for some reason. I found it manually and it looks the same - http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/hdv_to_sd_dvd.html

From my experience, what he demonstrates will look fine on a 4:3 TV. But once you look at it on a big ol LCD HDTV, it will look like utter hell. Lots of stair stepping on lines, especially if from a 1080i source, as compressor just can't seem to scale anything worth a darn. And he didn't even mention turning on frame controls and putting scaling to best. But it doesn't seem to matter, the output still looks cruddy when bumped up to HD LCD.

Then solution imo, is to run your 1080i (or 720p) but in this case I think Chip should've been editing in 1080i, through After Effects to scale a separate ProRes output at 486p or 486i. Or 480p/i. Place the file within a 486 or 480 comp. Don't scale in the render que. It will create mush. You'll have a separate SD master and you have relied on a real compositing app to do the scaling and not compressor. The results are infinitely better. You won't see any of the stair stepping an/or line doubling created by compressor. Especially on 1080i material. But don't believe me. Try for yourself.

Return to posts index

Chip Hess
on Jan 26, 2012 at 4:00:21 pm

Hello All -

I am having intermittent playback issues, play head starts stuttering after working awhile.
This is true in a 1080 timeline. I tried a 720 and was having same issues.
I am on a quad 2.66 iMac with 16GB RAM, any thoughts?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]