FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time to learn Avid?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Morter-Laing
Time to learn Avid?
on Jan 25, 2012 at 3:31:59 pm

I hope this is OK to post here. In a stupid stupid move, I havent properly learnt AVID. I am a professional editor though, and have been using FCP for about 7 years now, so know it like the back of my hand. Whats the best way to quickly latch onto the concepts in AVID, do you think its possible to learn on the job if I have a pretty good knowledge of FCP? (I am trying to future-proof myself a little now that Apple released that stupid excuse for 'iMovie Pro', AKA, FCPX).

Tom Morter-Laing
Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010

------------------------------
Thanks if you can help :D

Equipment (not for 'bragging', but in case it's relevant to future posts :D): Canon 7D, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], 2x G-Tech G-RAID (0) 2TB over Thunderbolt via Sonnet Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt adapter and Tempo™ SATA ExpressCard/34. Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Time to learn Avid?
on Jan 25, 2012 at 3:37:56 pm

And you can get a 30-day trial of Avid Media Composer from avid.com...so that you can train WITH the app for free.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Jan 25, 2012 at 3:54:14 pm

Ah good point- I forgot clients have deadlines... :D
Cheers for the resources. Do you think its something I should be able to pick up fairly quickly given Ive been editing for a decent amount of time on FCP?

Tom Morter-Laing
Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010

Thanks if you can help :D

Equipment (not for 'bragging', but in case it's relevant to future posts :D): Canon 7D, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], 2x G-Tech G-RAID (0) 2TB over Thunderbolt via Sonnet Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt adapter and Tempo™ SATA ExpressCard/34. Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 25, 2012 at 4:20:10 pm

[Thomas Morter-Laing] "Do you think its something I should be able to pick up fairly quickly given Ive been editing for a decent amount of time on FCP?"

Some of the basics are there...but the advanced stuff isn't. There are so many differences in terms of filters and effects, and stills, mixing resolutions. Doing a basic edit is very straightforward. Anything beyond that will be a learning challenge.

It is easier to go Avid to FCP, than FCP to Avid.

Personally, I'm still using FCP and will for a few more years. But I also know Avid well enough to be employable.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Jan 25, 2012 at 4:21:17 pm

If I could just add to Shane's excellent advice.
Having edited on Avid for years I learnt FCP about 6 or 7 years ago.
One mistake that I made at the time was to want FCP to be like Avid and do things the "Avid way". I ended up getting more and more frustrated with it until after about a week decided to just let FCP be different, embraced that and then got on so much better. I learnt more in the next couple of days than I had the whole previous week.

Same applies the other way, accept Avid's differences, dont try to force it to do things the "FCP way" and you will have a much smoother ride.

Good luck with it.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 25, 2012 at 10:25:26 pm

When I learned Avid in 97 I was trying to use it the Media 100 way! That was hard. But I did map just about every cmd+ shortcut to shift+ because all the shift ones were empty. Ended up with real custom settings and I was lost without them installed! Should've just embraced the Avid way. As I learn Premiere I try to not use the FCP shortcuts settings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]