FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing variable frame rate footage from a Panasonic AG-HVX200

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danni Karanja
Importing variable frame rate footage from a Panasonic AG-HVX200
on Jan 24, 2012 at 7:10:42 pm

Hi FCP forum,

Would really appreciate all the help I can get on this one. I shoot with a P2 AG-HVX200- and have been running some camera tests using a variable frame rate of 12fps and 48fps, (@720p24) under cranking and over cranking respectively for the desired effects.

I have not had any luck. For one using a DVCPRO-720P24 capture preset or creating a custom preset, FCP ONLY captures the video in 59.94fps. I ran it through cinema tools but this didn't help, due to the source material being in 59.94fps. I'm sure it has to do with the way I've been crudely importing using FILE>IMPORT>PANASONIC P2, but I could be wrong. My log and capture doesn't work because FCP has never been able to locate my camera (device) which is plugged into the 800 fire wire port.

I went to one of those 16 month film school programs, so I'm sure its my poor understanding of video frame rates- pulldown, and importing workflow- lol.

Please help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Importing variable frame rate footage from a Panasonic AG-HVX200
on Jan 24, 2012 at 8:16:14 pm

You use the Log & TRANSFER command, not Log & Capture.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Danni Karanja
on Jan 29, 2012 at 7:18:57 pm

Thanks Dave-

But what exactly is the difference? I thought Transferring was like capturing... or is transferring create low res clips to offline edit and then create a EDL after which you can online edit the final cut?

Sorry I'm a very spatial thinker- but if you could elaborate on the difference and also tell me how to do a low res offline edit to save hard disk space. I'm desperately trying to figure out a more economical work flow.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 30, 2012 at 3:47:05 pm

Excluding PAL frame rates, which we'll ignore for the moment, the HVX 200 doesn't RECORD at all those frame rates. At 720, it records at 59.95 fps, 29.97 fps and 23.976 fps. The last two are the PN modes as in 30PN and 24PN. The others are still at 59.94 with certain frames duplicated. When you scrutinize the clips in the FCP Browser, you'll also notice that the horizontal resolution is NOT 1280 but 960.

Footage from an HVX 200 is ingested off P2 cards through the Log & Transfer process, which is described in the manual. It may also help to get a look at the following:
http://forums.creativecow.net/faq/applefinalcutpro

This is also very helpful:
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

DVCPro HD is already a very compact codec. You should forget about this offline/online nonsense, which made a lot of sense at the dawn of NLEs. With faster drives, higher-bitrate connections and faster processors, you shouldn't need them. If you need more storage, get more storage, and make sure it's at least a Firewire 800 connection.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Danni Karanja
on Jan 31, 2012 at 10:01:22 pm

Thanks Dave,

I get it now. From now on I'll use 24PN when I'm using variable frame rates. In terms of the log and transfer command- problem is I'm using FCP5 so that option isn't there. I started logging my shots with the intention to batch capture. Thus far I've logged all my shots (setting the in and out TC) but when hit batch capture for my selected clips I encounter this error message:

"Batch capture: Time code error: Unable to locate the specified timecode. You may have specified a timecode with insufficient room for pre/post roll operation."

I understand (on a technical level) what FCP is saying- but I'm not sure what I should do to correct this, or how I could have entered my in/out time codes with allowance for pre/post roll.

I have a deadline for Monday to get this edit done, so I'm just gona try re-enter the in out points and capture them one by one.

Return to posts index

Danni Karanja
on Feb 1, 2012 at 8:15:26 am

Don't answer the last question- I've figured out why I got that message. I wasn't running the tape before clicking batch capture, so it wasn't reading the time code. Now that I've got it to capture- a few other errors occur.

To begin with my frame rate for this project was mostly 24p with a few variations of 30p (for timelapses) and 8F (interval shooting) for quick motion dramatic effect- but again most of my footage was shot in 24p. On import my capture settings are 720p24 48kHz with advanced pull down for duplicate frames. I know understand that when you shoot in 24p its actually 24/60 and its recording more than 24 frames- but I'm unclear about the advanced pulldown for duplicate frames setting.

This is because for at least every bin that I batch capture I get three clips that pop up with errors saying: VFR/pull down cadence were detected.

When I've encountered the problem I've simply changed the capture presets to 720p60 and its imported it as 59.94.

I'm trying to grasp this as best as I can. Thanks to your help I understand how the camera records frame rates better- I just need to understand how FCP imports these frame rates.

Cheers,

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 24, 2012 at 9:01:35 pm

[Danni Karanja] " For one using a DVCPRO-720P24 capture preset or creating a custom preset, FCP ONLY captures the video in 59.94fps"

This is correct. They should have taught you this in film school. You need to shoot 24pn.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]