FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7 audio wave form and audio sync problem!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ollie Jacobsen
Final Cut Pro 7 audio wave form and audio sync problem!
on Jan 24, 2012 at 6:00:47 am

Ok I just spent half a day trying to figure out why the wave form I was looking at in final cut pro showed visually in the wave form correct placement but the audio it played back drifted(lagged) throughout the hour long documentary.
It was fine before I exported to soundtrack pro then re-imported the polished aiff files. But why should that make a difference? The wave form shows its fine.... the track is the exactly same length - all formats are matched correctly frame rate and audio rate.... everything rendered. what a headache!

The solution was to import my final mov file and mastered audio tracks into Adobe Premiere Pro, and guess what - everything is perfect.

If someone can explain why Final Cut does this and Premiere doesn't i'd be most appreciative.

I'm thinking a permanent move to Premiere is something I have to seriously consider after this!

Thanks for reading.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Final Cut Pro 7 audio wave form and audio sync problem!
on Jan 24, 2012 at 9:15:32 am

Sync issues with FCP are so incredibly common due to a 'feature' in FCP that stamps a frame rate on audio. Thousands of threads have been devoted to fixing the feature.

In a nutshell FCP stamps a frame rate on any imported audio files. The timestamp is not based on the project you are working on but the default in your Easy Setup. So here's the time honoured fix. Delete the aif from your hard drive. FCP has timestamped it and you can't fix the problem without deleting from your system.

Next change your Easy Setup to match the exact timecode rate of the project you are working on. Open STP again and remake the aif files with a different name. Open FCP and import the new file. Bingo it won't drift.

Rather that spend a day tearing your hir out, try searching the Cow for this problem as it sometimes gets reported more than once a day and always at least a few times each week for the past four years.

Return to posts index

Sabreena Unger
on Jan 24, 2012 at 8:37:41 pm

I'm having this issue too. I shot some footage on a 5D and recorded the audio to a Zoom recorder, as well as to the camera mic, in order to have a guide track, i've tried following the steps mentioned, but it is still drifting. Are there any other suggestions on what I can do, or alternative ways of fixing this?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Ollie Jacobsen
on Jan 24, 2012 at 10:10:15 pm

I found a few posts on this exact topic when searching for a fix for my problem. If your audio is both 48,000khz on the camera and on the zoom everything should match up hey. (well that's what you would think!)
Did you convert the 5D footage to an appropriate codec (apple pro res 422) b4 importing to final cut?
This irons out most problems I find - I'm thinking this is why I've encountered problems with this project mentioned, there are some clips in there shot on a 5D that I didn't bother converting that I think have messed with things.

I wonder if you have have to be so pedantic in Premiere with codecs and stuff as you do in Final Cut. In this day and age the program should figure this stuff out for the user!

Return to posts index

Sabreena Unger
on Jan 25, 2012 at 7:04:23 pm

Tried converting the 5D files to ProRes 422, and I'm still having the sync issue.

I've uploaded the guide track and recorded audio versions of one of the tracks that I'm working with if anyone wants to play around with them. I figure it's easier to trouble shoot when you can actually manipulate the files, rather than just thinking about them.

Here is the Guide Track: 3578_guidetrack12.aif.zip

Here is the Audio from the Zoom recorder as a WAV file: 3579_recordedaudiooriginal.wav.zip

Here is the Audio from the Zoom recorder converted to an AIF file: 3580_recordedaudio12converted.aif.zip

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. I've tried even changing the speed slightly, and it still won't sync up.

Return to posts index

Ollie Jacobsen
on Jan 24, 2012 at 9:56:35 pm

Thanks for this Michael I'll try it and see how I go. I did search but didn't manage to find a fix that worked 100%.

That would make sense as generally I do have the easy setup the same as my project but this time its different.

If this problem has been around for 4 years why the heck don't Apple fix it? Do you know if Final Cut X has fixed it? (No doubt made 100 more problems though from what I've been reading).

Why the designers decided applying a frame rate stamp to audio is a good idea baffles me. Audio doesn't have frames!

Been using final cut for years and generally a good program but to have a bug like this after 4 years of complaints??? - NO excuse!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 24, 2012 at 10:01:14 pm

Ollie, the bug is considered a feature by Apple and there is a case for including it but it should be an option. I don't know if FCPX behaves the same as they broke too many things for me to be able to use FCPX.

Of course the feature/bug will never be fixed in legacy FCP so making sure you have frame rates matched before importing will always be necessary.

Return to posts index

Ollie Jacobsen
on Jan 24, 2012 at 10:22:36 pm

Yeh I've been reading to steer clear of FCPX - damn why they release it so early - this could mark the grave for FCP!

Ok well thanks for the tip you have saved me some hair (whats left) :D

Return to posts index

Ollie Jacobsen
on Jan 25, 2012 at 12:31:56 am

Hey Michael I tried the fix you suggested and it now works well within Final Cut.

Thanks for your help! :)

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 25, 2012 at 1:32:14 am

Glad to help and thanks for letting us know it worked

Return to posts index

Andy Brownstone
on May 28, 2012 at 3:39:06 pm

I have this problem but it's in Adobe Premiere Pro 5.5. I stupidly recorded my Zoom H4N audio at 44100 16bit instead of 48000. My Premiere sequence settings are for 48000 and 1080p at 25fps. My canon 7D was set up for 1080p and 25fps with the default audio of 48000. But it drifts, even when I exported the Zoom audio at 48000 to match everything else. In a five minute music video the Zoom audio ends up 28 frames behind the 7D footage. What do I do next?

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]