FORUMS: list search recent posts

TUTORIAL: How to clean install FCS 2 in OS X Lion.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Leppell
TUTORIAL: How to clean install FCS 2 in OS X Lion.
on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:02:45 pm

So this on took a bit of work, but I thought you all would like to know how to do this.

First, you need 2 things...A Snow Leopard disk, and access to a computer that currently has Final Cut Studio 2 (final cut 6) installed. And of course, a legal copy of FCS2.

From the extras folder, install Rosetta. This will not make Rosetta programs work in Lion, but it will be enough to get past the FCS2 Installation screen.

Next, install FCS2 as normal. What you may find is that FCP6 will now work out of the box. AND, if you're lucky, so will Motion and Compressor.

BUT:

If Motion/Compressor doesn't work, you need to manually install 2 files from another working system.

First, enable hidden folders/files:
Open Terminal, type this command:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Press Enter.

To make the command take effect, you need to restart the Finder. One way to do this is to hold down the Option key, then click and hold on the Finder icon in the Dock. When the contextual menu appears, select Relaunch and the Finder will restart. To hide those folders again (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, they're hidden for a reason), change the YES to NO.

Now, we need to find those files. They are located in the following directories:
/usr/local/lib/libhelium_mac.a

Next is:
/Library/Frameworks/PluginManager.framework

Move that entire folder onto the new system.

Be sure you put these files/folders in the exact same file structure that you found them!

THERE IS ONE ISSUE I HAVE FOUND WITH THIS WORKAROUND. Clusters may not work on the new system....moving these files from the old to new, will name your cluster the same as on the old system. I recommend shutting off shared rendering.

That's all folks, now go get some more life out of that old software!

Return to posts index

John Templeton
Re: TUTORIAL: How to clean install FCS 2 in OS X Lion.
on Feb 25, 2012 at 8:06:04 pm

Dennis
Thank you for such a well written post. Saved my buying fcp7.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: TUTORIAL: How to clean install FCS 2 in OS X Lion.
on Feb 25, 2012 at 9:27:26 pm

[John Templeton] "Thank you for such a well written post. Saved my buying fcp7."

It's hard to acquire FCP 7 now anyway. But, keep in mind that ver. 7 was a substantially better suite than FCP 6. The improvements in Apple Color alone made it, and continue to make it, quite a worthwhile investment, if can get it.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]