FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to make a cut and pasteable intro... stuff resized oddly on paste

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Roesler
Trying to make a cut and pasteable intro... stuff resized oddly on paste
on Jan 23, 2012 at 7:56:16 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to make an instructional series on mixed martial arts, and it's comprised of a number of different lessons. I am trying to make one single 'video intro' project where I can just cut and paste it to the start of each video and just change one of the text boxes to match the name of the lesson.

The problem that I am having is that when I copy from the 'video intro' project and paste to the instructional project, my jpg background image is completely resized to be small and disproportionate. The text and music transfer perfectly... just the background image is messed up. I can't figure out why and it's a little annoying.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

---Travs

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Trying to make a cut and pasteable intro... stuff resized oddly on paste
on Jan 23, 2012 at 8:20:59 pm

Export a Self-contained Quicktime movie of the intro. Import it into FCP. Use it as a video clip. Done.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Jan 23, 2012 at 8:52:39 pm

Will I still be able to alter the text for different videos with a 'self contained quick time clip'?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:03:35 pm

No, you wouldn't, but when you planned the open, you planned to change the text for each episode, right? Just export the intro with NO text. For each episode, change the text layer over the intro clip & you're done.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:12:18 pm

The intro isnt even really a video, it's the text changing in sync with some music. It would just be really nice to be able to double click on the text and change it in the viewer.

The only issue is the size of the background image... its actually very easy for me to drop in a new background image each time and keep the text/musical allignment.

It's really more of a "why the heck is this thing resizine?!" issue...

It's already much more convenient having done what I've already done, I just want to make it push buton ridiculously easy!

Thanks for your help thus far!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:24:18 pm

It's not that big a deal to export a self-contained QT -- with audio -- and leave the part that changes blank, so it's just black video. Then you import it into FCP, put it in a timeline, lock the audio track, use the blade tool to cut out the black and add your new text & BG. You don't even have to think, because your carefully-prepared back part of the intro cuts to the music.

Piece o'cake.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Anthony Quinn
on Jan 23, 2012 at 11:05:57 pm

Hey Travis,

Do you have motion 5? Are you using FCPX?

If the answer to both of those questions is yes then open motion 5 and create a new Final Cut Title. Inside of Motion you will find all sorts of animations and text behaviors that are completely customizable, also you can mimic any effect that FCPX has built in.

Name it and save it and it automatically updates in FCPX in the Titles menu for use over and over again with the ability to alter text. Furthermore you can update it and re-save in Motion 5 any time you want.

If you do not have Motion 5 but are using FCPX I suggest dropping the 50 bucks and getting it if you want to continue down the Apple road.

Hope this helps,
-Tony

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jan 23, 2012 at 11:15:46 pm

[Anthony Quinn] "Name it and save it and it automatically updates in FCPX in the Titles menu for use over and over again with the ability to alter text. Furthermore you can update it and re-save in Motion 5 any time you want."

Yeah, seriously! FCPX and Motion 5 are perfect for making editable title templates.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Jan 24, 2012 at 3:08:42 pm

[Travis Roesler] "my jpg background image is completely resized to be small and disproportionate"

This is happening because your original JPEG is not the same size as the sequences you're working in. For example, if you're working in HD and the JPEG is bigger than that, FCP will scale it down when you paste it into a new sequence.

One solution is as David says, to create a self-contained QuickTime. However, I would add that you only need the QuickTime to contain the background image, so you're essentially creating a movie file of a still image. That way it leaves your text and music editable.

Another solution would be to crop/re-size your JPEG in Photoshop to match your project. That way FCP never thinks it needs to re-scale the image when you paste it into new sequences.

Alex Elkins
Twitter: @postbluetv
http://www.postblue.tv
View Post Blue showreel
Shot on RED @ 100fps, Post on FCP/Color: Capoeira Film
My Vimeo Pro page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]