FORUMS: list search recent posts

distortion on image when panning

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Klaus Koes
distortion on image when panning
on Jan 23, 2012 at 2:55:59 pm

Hi there,
I have a problem with panning shots as they have distortions. Is there a filter I can use to clean the shot up? I have attached two images, one when the camera is still and one when the camera is panning.

Does anybody have any advice? Is there anything in the setting that could cause this problem. (Shutter was on a low level so I don't think it has to do with shutter speed).

Many Thanks

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: distortion on image when panning
on Jan 23, 2012 at 3:29:24 pm

Hi Klaus,
Which camera are you shooting with?

[Klaus Koes] "Shutter was on a low level so I don't think it has to do with shutter speed"
What means "low level"?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jan 23, 2012 at 4:45:23 pm

It just looks like motion blur to me.

Why is it important that the image look crisp when stopped on a still frame? A certain amount of motion blur helps smooth the quality of motion. Shooting with a higher shutter speed will make each still frame sharper, but at the expense of having the overall motion look more choppy. If you shoot a panning shot with a high shutter speed, you will see more motion judder.

A classic example of a high shutter speed in film would be the beach landing sequence in Saving Private Ryan. If you were to look at each frame individually, they would be sharp, but when played back at normal speed, the quality of motion is very choppy, almost stroboscopic. If that's the effect you want, then try a higher shutter speed.

At what frame rate did you shoot?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:42:45 pm

This appears to be the result of shooting on a DSLR, with its infamous Rolling Shutter distortion.

Adobe After Effects 10.5 (aka CS 5.5) can repair some of the distortion -- but not all of it -- using an effect called Warp Stabilizer with the Rolling Shutter setting selected.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jan 23, 2012 at 8:01:45 pm

It's just motion blur. Poor lighting.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 23, 2012 at 8:19:04 pm

Sure, there's motion blur and stinky lighting, but there's also a subtle change in angle on the vertical edges of those pictures.

I still vote DSLR Rolling Shutter. I'll even stick my neck out and say it was a right-to-left pan.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:12:58 pm

Another shot in the dark (couldn't resist).
Was the camera set to a slow shutter speed to make up for the dark scene? 15 fps? If this isn't a reference to interlacing, is the blur caused by shooting at a non-standard frame rate?

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 23, 2012 at 11:04:30 pm

I'm with Dave. Looks like both motion blur (normal) and rolling shutter with skewed verticals and possibly handheld which makes the jello effect worse .

Doesn't look like interlace issues.

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Jan 24, 2012 at 9:21:42 am

its rolling shutter - Dave and Michael have the answer!

you can buy or rent an After Effects and Nuke plug-in for correcting this from http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/rollingshutter/

I have not used it so cannot comment but they do make some amazing software.

adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

Klaus Koes
on Jan 24, 2012 at 9:37:28 am

Hey there,
thanks for your help. I'll try to use rollingshutter, hopefully it works ;-)
Cheers

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jan 24, 2012 at 12:22:51 pm

The main artifact (if you can even call it that) comes from motion blur due to camera movement. "Low shutter speed" I can only read as a "slow shutter" - i.e. you've probably shot the footage at 1/30th or something. I think rolling shutter has little to do with the issue here, given this does cause some distortion also.

Solutions are few really. It depends if you want to simply salvage 1 moving frame or if you want the sequence of frames to look more crisp. For the single frame, smart sharpen in Photoshop sort of does the trick. For motion I'd have to see the clip.

See link below.

http://www.uptownmedia.se/move_correction.jpg

------------------------
Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services
http://www.freecloud.se

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 24, 2012 at 2:20:36 pm

I second Erik.
I don't see much of rolling shutter there but the blur that cameras with GOPs codec introduce in pictures with lot of movement. They can compress all that info in RT, so they blur it.
I have that my EX-1 when I record in camera, not when I record Intraframe in the NANO at 220Mbps.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Klaus Koes
on Jan 25, 2012 at 6:21:23 am

Jap, that was the problem. There weren't ideal lighting conditions there. Does anybody have an idea if I can increase the quality in FCP or in Motion?
Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 25, 2012 at 2:31:19 pm

There are a few things to try: FCP's 3-Way Color Corrector, the third-party Colorista plugin or a trip through Color. Although I don't know for sure, I would imagine Motion has video level controls. It wouldn't hurt to look.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]