FORUMS: list search recent posts

multicam editing hdv

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Stephens
multicam editing hdv
on Jan 22, 2012 at 1:19:19 am

I need to edit a 4 camera tv in multicam edit. My Sony z1u shoots in HDV
and I discovered FC 7 can't handle the HDV without rendering. If you render it then you can't cut it. I want to edit in HD.
I've tested this on my MacBook Pro quad core. I'll try some other foramts like Pro Res when I have time.Does anyone know the magic answer?
Would and 8 core do it?

Alan Stephens

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: multicam editing hdv
on Jan 22, 2012 at 1:35:39 am

If you have to render the footage when it's in the timeline than your project is not setup properly. Make sure your timeline matches your footage and you'll be good to go.

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 22, 2012 at 1:48:00 am

FCP can most certainly edit HDV without rendering. As for multiple streams of video playing at once, you need fast drives. I single FireWire drive won't cut it.

And a multiclip will always have a render bar above it. But if you get fast drives, it should be green.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 22, 2012 at 2:05:08 am

A single FW800 should be able to handle four streams of HDV though. Four streams of ProRes HQ no, but four streams of HDV is only 12.4MB/s.

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

Alan Stephens
on Jan 22, 2012 at 4:43:56 pm

I'm using a Thunderbolt Promise Raid 5. It clocks the read around 325MB/sec[256 blocks] and 24 MB/sec [4k blocks] with Xbench. I'm not quite sure how to read the results but it should be plenty.

As for the rendering the multiclip sequence will play the 4 video streams in the viewer all at the same time. If I click in a quadrant in the viewer it stops. When I drag the multiclip into a new sequence and play the multi clip is shows Unrendered in the canvas window.
Then if I play the multiclip seq (open checked)in the viewer it will play, but if I click on a quadrant it stops and switches to the wave form.If I play the canvas it shows Unrendered. I've watched a couple of You tube tutorials and I must be missing something. Can you recommend a good tutorial to watch?

Alan Stephens

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 23, 2012 at 10:18:43 pm

Alan -

I edit 4 camera ProRes 720P60 on a Mac Pro all day long. Depending on drive speed, I sometime get the green preview bar in the timeline, but it plays back fine with only a small hit to the resolution. I don't know about HDV and I don't work with a MacBook Pro, but your computer has more cores than my 5 year old Mac Pro. You raid seems fast enough to handle it, it's not the problem.

As far as editing technique goes, instead of trying to live switch from the viewer window, lay the multi-clip down on a new timeline. Then play back the timeline, switching angles by using the keypad. See if that works.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Alan Stephens
on Jan 25, 2012 at 12:40:52 am

the nested sequence has a red line and when I press play it displays unrendered. The seq settings seem to be in order and the same as the hdv footage.

Alan Stephens

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 25, 2012 at 8:58:17 pm

[Alan Stephens] "the nested sequence has a red line and when I press play it displays unrendered. The seq settings seem to be in order and the same as the hdv footage."

The only thing I could suggest is to transcode one set of clips as ProRes and then see if you get the same results.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Stephen Camargo
on Jan 22, 2012 at 4:22:54 pm

Hi,

So I am having a similar issue to Alan Stephens. It was a 2 camera shoot, dslr, but was converted to apple prores422 LT. After dropping the multiclip into the timeline I am getting the preview render, green line, that will not allow me to preview and switch between cameras to perform my edits. But If I just drop the 2 clips individually in the timeline on top of one another, no preview rendering is necessary.

I am using a firewire 800 drive with my Macbook Pro 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Settings match the footage...Please help...

Thanks

-SC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]