FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scratch disk & voice over challenges

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Hoey
Scratch disk & voice over challenges
on Jan 21, 2012 at 10:55:09 pm

I bought a new Imac i7 - went to run an MAudio Solo (firewire 400) to an external Lacie drive with a 400-800 cord - then 800 - 800 to Imac - opened voice over default on open for Bit Rate was 44100 hz - i changed to 48 hz and she froze - repeated this twice - then wanted to run test direct to hard drive - opened FCP and came up with missing scratch - went to reset and got the following "Unable to set scratch disk. The selected directory is on write protected or non writable media" Anyone encountered this?? Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Scratch disk & voice over challenges
on Jan 22, 2012 at 12:01:38 am

A) Have you run all the updates to get the OS up to date?

B) Shut down all apps, reboot, and fix permissions on your system drive using Disk Utility.

I'm not personally familiar with it, but it's possible your M-Audio device is not compatible with Lion.

The FCP Voiceover Tool works seamlessly with USB mics. Do you have a USB mic?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Jim Hoey
on Jan 22, 2012 at 10:33:42 pm

Hi David, Thank you for your reply. Comments as below.

A) Have you run all the updates to get the OS up to date?

Yes

B) Shut down all apps, reboot, and fix permissions on your system drive using Disk Utility.

Yes - still will not let me access my Mac HD as capture scratch without the message I related

I'm not personally familiar with it, but it's possible your M-Audio device is not compatible with Lion.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1139374

It appears the voice over issue is one that is related to external devices, FCP 7 & O/S Lion
It has been related that one can just use Soundtrack Pro - luckily we have a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard

The FCP Voiceover Tool works seamlessly with USB mics. Do you have a USB mic?

No I do not - I use a Shure 57 mic - is it possible to get an xlr to small input jack compatible with Imac? or do you purchase a brand new usb mic?

I spoke with Apple tech support and they related they will not speak on the FCP 7 voice over issue as it is outside of support now because of FCP X being the new version within support capacity. That is not beneficial to the end consumer - it was pointed out that the new FCP X does not have a "capture scratch" concern - it appears as though for whatever reason we are unable to set our new Mac HD O/S Lion as a capture scratch - however an external drive is capable - we have not yet tested simply creating a sub directory however this will not be beneficial for older project files that need to reference directory paths relating Mac HD. Any thoughts David?

All the best, Jim

Return to posts index

Ryan Knight
on Jul 27, 2012 at 11:05:05 pm

Was there a solution here?

I just encountered this same thing.

I am running a 2TB G-drive into FCP 7 on a fully updated 10.6.8 iMac 3.2GHz i3.

In FCP 7, I accidentally opened the VoiceOver Tool (by pressing some keyboard shortcut) and couldn't close it (using the top left corner "x"). I ignored it for a moment so I could open a 2048x1024 23.98 ProRes 4444 file I created in Shake (using Best Depth and None auto gamma adjustment). The ProRes 4444 displayed as black in the Viewer and the Canvas but the Timeline shows me a thumbnail of the clip and the clip opens fine in QTP.

So I shutdown, trashed the FCP prefs with Preference Manager, ran a Verify Disk, rebooted and reopened FCP. That's when I discovered this same error: The scratch disk is write protected or read-only... I Get Info-ed the disk image of the scratch drive and checked-on "Ignore ownership of this drive" because it was checked-off (no check mark). Still nothing. Should it be check-on to begin with?

First timer with this problem.

1) How can I get my scratch disk to work again?
2) Why is my ProRes 4444 black in FCP?

Thank you all. I envy your knowledge!

Return to posts index

Ryan Knight
on Jul 28, 2012 at 5:27:13 am

So I tried the good old Log Out and Restart again and the Capture Scratch disk error was resolved.

Any clues about the Shake generated ProRes 4444 that won't display in FCP 7?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]