FORUMS: list search recent posts

Modify Timecode

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allan Cordero
Modify Timecode
on Jan 21, 2012 at 10:44:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I have some GH2 clips in which I would like to basically strip the timecode and change it to what I need it to be. Problem is, when I use the modify timecode tool on FCP 7, it does it but after I close the project and re-open it, the timecode resets back to what was originally recorded. I originally thought that it changes it permanently, including the source clip, but so far no luck.

I'm also trying to find any third party software, hopefully free, that can change the source clip's TC if FCP doesn't work. Anyone got any suggestions for software and/or if I am doing anything wrong with the modify timecode tool? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Modify Timecode
on Jan 21, 2012 at 11:48:06 pm

When you do this, does FCP say "Warning! Doing this will modify the source file?" If not, it didn't permanently do it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Allan Cordero
on Jan 22, 2012 at 12:07:21 am

No, it doesn't. I know it should be giving me that warning but I can't figure it out. I'm not sure if it's the actual media itself or if I am doing something wrong within FCP. Can you suggest any other solutions? Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 22, 2012 at 12:35:59 am

How are you modifying timecode? Using the MODIFY TIMECODE command?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Jan 22, 2012 at 12:30:25 am

This is kind of a w.a.g. since I haven't used GH2 footage, but I believe the modify timecode command only works with quicktime files. Could your media be in a different format? You might need to convert to something like ProRes before this will work.

Or, if you don't have write permissions to your hard disk or files, then FCP might not be able to modify the timecode metadata as necessary, since this is stored with the files themselves, not within FCP.

hth,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Allan Cordero
on Jan 22, 2012 at 5:27:18 pm

Hi - yes, Im using MODIFY TIMECODE (from the drop down menu) and yes, I transcoded my MTS files into PRO RES HQ so I'm not really too worried about having to refer back to the original media since I'm already working with high-res files.

Could it be the permissions thing? Any help with this would be much appreciated

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Jan 23, 2012 at 12:39:14 am

You can check by going to one of the files in question in the browser and right clicking and selecting "REVEAL IN FINDER." Then press "command-i" to bring up the "get info window. At the bottom of the window, in the "sharing and permissions" section, see if it says "you can read and write."

If it doesn't, then you need to change the settings so you have read and write permissions. Then try modifying the timecode again. If this is indeed the problem, then you can batch apply new permissions to all the files in question by modifying their parent folder in the finder, then selecting "apply to enclosed items."

hth,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Allan Cordero
on Jan 23, 2012 at 1:22:03 pm

Thanks so much!! I hate it and love it when it's as simple as that. I thought I had read&write permissions since I'm on the admin account but I guess not! This helps me so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]