FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Read and Write Speed

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Morter-Laing
FCP Read and Write Speed
on Jan 20, 2012 at 10:17:26 pm

OK prob a simple question:

Whats more important (if it can be quantified) for editing in FCP7 when it comes to disk speed- read or write? I ask because (in relation to another post) I have doubled the read speed of my G-Raids but the write speed is now slightly lower than what i was getting with firewire 800 (about 10 MB/s slower on average) but the read speed gain is up to about 50MB/s faster, which is obviously more of a substantial difference.

Tom Morter-Laing
Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010

------------------------------
Thanks if you can help :D

Equipment (not for 'bragging', but in case it's relevant to future posts :D): Canon 7D, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], G-Tech G-RAID 2TB (soon to be over eSata!). Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: FCP Read and Write Speed
on Jan 20, 2012 at 11:14:35 pm

[Thomas Morter-Laing] "I have doubled the read speed of my G-Raids"

How did you accomplish that?

Single drives or even two-drive RAIDs are so very limited in their capabilities compared to RAIDS with four, five, and eight drives that anything you do improve their performance will be of little real consequence.

Yes, eSATA provides more throughput than FW800, and eSATA with two drives has nearly twice the throughput of a single drive, but neither solution is really going to boost your editing experience so substantially that you're suddenly going to achieve editing nirvana. Striping more drives together is the only real solution that will allow you to reach the nirvana you're seeking.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Jan 21, 2012 at 12:20:57 am

My apologies, I realise my post was misleadingly inaccurate in my terminology- of course I didn't speed up the G-Raids themselves, what I meant is I got the thunderbolt- esata adapter via Sonnet's new express card thing, but there are some issues in the works with write speeds (many other posts here about that now :D)-- what my question was basically asking was is write or read more important because I can achieve faster WRITE speeds with firewire 800 than with the new esata (I know esata should have tonnes more write speed capability but for various reasons it doesn't at this stage); but twice the throughput of READ speed in caparison to fw800.

Tom Morter-Laing
Editor

Equipment (not for 'bragging', but in case it's relevant to future posts :D): Canon 7D, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], G-Tech G-RAID 2TB (soon to be over eSata!). Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 21, 2012 at 12:28:37 am

[Thomas Morter-Laing] "my question was basically asking was is write or read more important because I can achieve faster WRITE speeds with firewire 800 than with the new esata (I know esata should have tonnes more write speed capability but for various reasons it doesn't at this stage); but twice the throughput of READ speed in caparison to fw800."

READ is more important in day to day editing - WRITE when capturing certainly and potentially when rendering. But, rendering is really affected more by processor speed and overall system overhead, as both reads and writes are happening simultaneously, or nearly so.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Jan 21, 2012 at 12:31:54 am

Perfect thanks very much- just the answer I was looking for! Capture is less of any issue at this stage as the major it of projects I work on don't have any continuous capturing needs so I allocate time for that either way. Rendering....hmmmm, I can't see that being an issue, as you say, its reading and writing in that instance and my processor is OK.

Cheers again!

Tom Morter-Laing
Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]