FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering subtitles takes 10 hours

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nikos Papadopoulos
Rendering subtitles takes 10 hours
on Jan 20, 2012 at 4:24:03 pm

Hello, I used annotation edit to create subtitles which I imported to final cut on a 2 hour+ film.

However all subtitles need rendering in order to be (pre)viewable. The full rendering takes 10 hours and the unlimited mode rendering takes 5 hours.

Is there something I am doing very wrong?

Also even if I do the render, I am afraid that every time a make a minor change in the edit, I will have to re render.

Please help.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Rendering subtitles takes 10 hours
on Jan 20, 2012 at 4:42:50 pm

I may be wrong, but I suspect it's a case of conflicting codecs. When everything is built in the same codec, things fly with little need for rendering. As log, of course, as the codec you picked to work in is one the NLE system is comfortable with in the first place.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 20, 2012 at 5:53:13 pm

If there is drop shadow...that will add time. If any of your footage had filters and required rendering before, adding subtitles means that you need to render them again. And how long they take depends on the filter used.

But I have had a 90 min piece full of subtitles and very little filters take 6 hours. Drop Shadow on the subtitles was the main reason, but so was the codec (HDV).

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Jan 20, 2012 at 6:24:29 pm

The sequence settings are Prores 422 LT, 1080 and the subtitle export was also at 1080 HD setings.

The strange thing is that in some areas there is no need for render at all. So, half of the subtitled sequence needs rendering while the other half not.

No filters on the footage at all.

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Jan 20, 2012 at 6:34:32 pm

Are the sections of your timeline that DO NOT require rendering occur nearer the head of your sequence?

I have found that as sequences get longer, sometimes things that require no render or a "green" bar render at the head will become a "red" bar render at the tail.

This usually varies based on system spec, editing codec as well as any outliers that may be in the timeline (Filters, non-native edit media, vfx and title cards).

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Jan 20, 2012 at 6:58:45 pm

That's exactly how it is Eric. At the beginning green and towards the end red.

I read somewhere that I could tamper with the stills memory cache and changed that to 30% but no difference.

I am doing the edit on a macbook pro 2.8 intel core 2 Duo / 4 GB memory - working with the better performance video card.

The material is on 3 G Tech Drives and the Audio/Video render folder is on the internal HD.

There is something more. I tried twice to do this long render and after about an hour a pop up message appeared: "Not Found" any ideas about that too?

Any workarounds?

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Jan 20, 2012 at 7:08:14 pm

The "not found" error i'm pretty sure means a corrupt clip in FCP... likely not the actual media on the drive. So you may have to find the bad clip and possibly recut the shot in... by hand.

You could also be running out of room on the internal... if you can, try rendering to whichever of the 3 Graids (or are they the single disk G-Techs?) has the most room, and is hopefully the earliest in the drive daisy chain.

That will likely help. In the future I would recommend that you do whatever you can to not render or capture to the Boot drive of any machine you're working on. That, in my experience, includes partition volumes on the boot drive.

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Jan 20, 2012 at 7:38:18 pm

how can I find if there is a corrupt clip?

The internal has 300gb free out of a total of 500gb. This is the reason I am doing the render there. Actually I thought it would give a better performance.

My G drives are single ones. And topped up. Would you recommend me to buy an aditional drive for the render?

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Jan 20, 2012 at 7:41:56 pm

If the money is there. If not, you can continue working, just be mindful of how much space is being taken up by render files.

Also, laptop HDD's have historically been 5400RPM, this is less and less true, which are slower than most external drives.

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Jan 20, 2012 at 8:14:18 pm

All my drives are 7200.

I decided to render one sequence at a time. Should be finished by tomorrrow.

thank you all for the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]