FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re-Installation of FCS 3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Re-Installation of FCS 3
on Jan 20, 2012 at 3:17:54 pm

Hallo Everybody,

I installed recently FCS3 over my existing FCS2.
Unfortunately, ever since, weird things happened: Copy&Paste becomes terrible slow (beach ball), Compressor can't quit and just by force quit, and many other actions causing terrible long waiting times (beach balling). Now, I read, I should un-install the whole FCS and re-install from the ground.
My question: When I do this, are all my third party plugs, such as Red Giant, Nattress and so on, also lost and have to be re-installed or they are still around?

Thanx.
Sascha

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Re-Installation of FCS 3
on Jan 20, 2012 at 4:44:52 pm

Not lost, if you archived trhem. Just a pain to re-install.

Don't forget all the updates to the FCS and quicktime packages. I think I would re-load them in chronological order, as they patch each other's faults in sequence.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jan 20, 2012 at 4:47:48 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I think I would re-load them in chronological order, as they patch each other's faults in sequence."

What do you mean by that? Don't get it.

Archived you mean, if backed the installations for those plug ins up and have to re-run all the installations?

Thanx a lot.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 20, 2012 at 4:54:48 pm

[Sascha Engel] "My question: When I do this, are all my third party plugs, such as Red Giant, Nattress and so on, also lost and have to be re-installed or they are still around?"
I'm afraid, yes.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
Re: -Installation of FCS 3
on Jan 20, 2012 at 4:59:51 pm

So, is there anything I can check first, before I'd dive into this Abyss? That it might be solved easier, than full re-installation.
By the way: will my contents remain, or all those 40gb will be gone also?

Sascha

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 20, 2012 at 5:15:54 pm

Hi Sascha,
I've been working with FC.7 installed on top of Fc.6 without problem, but taking care of running DiskWarrior and repairing preferences.

Anyway, before reinstalling you should make a proper de-installing. I think Digital Rebellion (http://www.digitalrebellion.com/) has a free application to do so.
The FC's Application Support folder (Library) will be trashed and with him the Plugins folder.
You can try to put it somewhere else inside the "Applications Support" but some plugins may not work.
There are other plugins that install elements out of the FC Plugins folder. I don't know how may be affected.
rafael

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jan 20, 2012 at 5:21:33 pm

You mean running Disk Warrior over the start up disk? But that is not possible to optimize the start up disk.
I do run AppleJack very often.
Repairing preferences? You mean the ones inside DiskWarrior or Disk Utility?

Why do I need the Plug In of Digital Rebellion? The FCS Remover from FCP itself is not good?

Sascha

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 21, 2012 at 2:11:09 am

[Sascha Engel] "You mean running Disk Warrior over the start up disk? But that is not possible to optimize the start up disk."
You need to run it from the CD/DVD (slow) or, as I do it, from other computer or external HD with a system installed (Faster)

[Sascha Engel] "The FCS Remover from FCP itself is not good?"
There is one?
Sorry I had no idea on this.
If there is one, go on.
rafael

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on Jan 21, 2012 at 4:02:45 am

There is no official Apple uninstaller for Final Cut Studio.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metdata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 21, 2012 at 4:57:04 am

I'm pretty sure there is, he's called Walter Biscardi:-)

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 21, 2012 at 11:57:17 am

[Jon Chappell] "There is no official Apple uninstaller for Final Cut Studio."
As far as I know.

[Mark Suszko] "I'm pretty sure there is, he's called Walter Biscardi:-)"
Not sure if is "official' but works :-)
rafael

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jan 21, 2012 at 12:43:12 pm

Walter certainly is, but there is once. It's on the Installation DVD in the Extras Folder. It's called FCS Remover.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 21, 2012 at 2:04:18 pm

[Sascha Engel] "Walter certainly is, but there is once. It's on the Installation DVD in the Extras Folder. It's called FCS Remover."
Not in my FCS3 and really the only remover I've ever heard about is the one of "Digital Rebellion".
rafael

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on Jan 21, 2012 at 3:37:56 pm

Only pirated copies of Final Cut Studio ship with FCS Remover.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metdata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jan 21, 2012 at 3:45:09 pm

Somehow I doubt it...since it's the copy of a TV station I work for.
But in any case I found the Digital Rebellion version.
I just really hope, that fixes my problem, since it's gonna be a hustle to re-install everything.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on Jan 21, 2012 at 4:03:47 pm

There's only one FCS Remover and Apple has never officially endorsed it (although it is often unofficially recommended by its support staff) so it does not ship on any Apple-sanctioned DVD.

My software:
More tools...

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jan 21, 2012 at 4:07:19 pm

Interesting.... That explains a lot!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]