FORUMS: list search recent posts

Must convert SD Video to HD in order to screen on Blu-RAY

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Storm
Must convert SD Video to HD in order to screen on Blu-RAY
on Jan 20, 2012 at 1:59:53 am

Hello,

We were recently selected to screen at a film festival that ONLY screens on Blu-Ray. The project was shot on SD DV Video at 29.97 and edited as such in FCP. I am told I can do an upconvert to HD (I am opting to just go as high as 1280x720 in order not to degrade the picture TOO much, but I need to find the very BEST workflow and settings for this using Compressor. I find this application to be very confusing and time is of the essence. Could someone please advise me on how best to approach this? The film is 90 minutes long. Thanks!

Scott

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Must convert SD Video to HD in order to screen on Blu-RAY
on Jan 20, 2012 at 2:43:04 am

Hi Scott,
You need to set the Frame Control ON, and the Resize filter BEST.
Your footage is interlaced and need to be Progressive, so set the output fields Progressive and De-interlacer filter to the Best or Better.
Make some tests with little clips with movement going on the picture.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 20, 2012 at 4:40:45 am

There's no reason to deinterlace or convert to progressive. You're messing with the temporal quality. Do just as a tv station would and if you're making it 720, then it needs to be 720p60, and if you want it 1080, then it's 1080i, but really your best bet is 1080i. That's the easiest conversion. In fact, mpegstreamclip will do a wonderful job of upscaling 480i to 1080i. I've ripped many a DVD and upscaled them to 1080i and even broadcast some of the result. Works wonderfully, fast and the settings are easier and more straightforward than compressor. But 90min is going to take a long time in any case.

If you upres to 720, the thing is, the TV or projector is just going to upres it the rest of the way to 1080, unless they happen to be playing back at 720, in which case it will help the quality of your 1080i. In any case, it doesn't matter. 480 pixels is 480 pixels. Why can't they play back a standard DVD?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jan 20, 2012 at 6:02:22 am

This is all wrong. Just have them playback on DVD and let the Player upscale. No reason to go to Blu Ray

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 20, 2012 at 5:04:22 pm

[Bret Williams] "There's no reason to deinterlace or convert to progressive. You're messing with the temporal quality. Do just as a tv station would and if you're making it 720, then it needs to be 720p60,"
The only way to get a 720p60 (60 different pictures) from SD Interlaced stuff is with with FieldsKit and trough a complicated process (you need AE).
If you bring SD Interlaced stuff to Compressor and you export as 720p60, Compressor won't make one Frame out of each original field. Will repeat frames.
Is easier deinterlace and make 720p30. The frames will be repeated on playing.

[eric pautsch] "This is all wrong. Just have them playback on DVD and let the Player upscale. No reason to go to Blu Ray"
Please read again Scott's post.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jan 20, 2012 at 6:21:54 pm

Ahhh....yeah....ok

He's recieving incorrect info. There's a reason these people run festivals and don't up convert SD material or author BD discs,

Return to posts index

Scott Storm
on Jan 20, 2012 at 6:12:17 pm

Well the consensus from the fest folks is that uprezzing to screen on Blu-Ray is better than just screening on DVD. Just following their advice. Was going to uprez TEXTLESS version and then do the titles and subtitles in the higher rez.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]