FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to transffer Digibeta to FCP via AJA express

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
vihang walve
How to transffer Digibeta to FCP via AJA express
on Jan 19, 2012 at 9:26:05 pm

Hello.
I tried each and every format but FCP wouldn't detect the digibeta..
When I click on log and capture it says no communication.. Are there any other steps I need to know to grab the footage from Digibeta to FCP via AJA?

Please help

vihang

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: How to transffer Digibeta to FCP via AJA express
on Jan 19, 2012 at 10:39:55 pm

Ahhh,... Deck Model?
Machine control how?
Setup/capture settings?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 19, 2012 at 11:08:07 pm

Drivers installed? And yeah...Deck control, very important.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

vihang walve
on Jan 19, 2012 at 11:19:21 pm

here is the config

deck- sony J30SDI
AJA kona version - lo express
SDI in - 525i29.97
SDI out - 1080sf 23.98

vihang

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 19, 2012 at 11:22:53 pm

You need a cable for Deck Control. RS-422 cable. 9-pin thing that connects to the AJA IO EXPRESS and the deck.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

vihang walve
on Jan 19, 2012 at 11:32:21 pm

I have a single SDI pin that goes from deck's SDI output to AJA SDI input..wont it work??

vihang

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jan 19, 2012 at 11:37:02 pm

Do you have machine control setup?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

vihang walve
on Jan 19, 2012 at 11:45:01 pm

If I am mistaken are you talking about external control setup?
i didnt do anything externally.. i tried changing formats in easy setups.. sometime it shows unable to initialize video.. does it mean the video is detected and there could be a software issue??
I tried installing latest version of Quick time too and used firewire directly to the machine also... nothings working for me..

vihang

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 20, 2012 at 12:02:11 am

Dude....OK, let me explain....

When you capture footage via firewire from a camera, or deck...be it HDV, DV or DVCPRO HD...the Firewire cable gives you audio, video, and DECK CONTROL...the ability to control the deck with FCP. And capture timecode that exists on the tape.

SDI only does Audio and Video...NO DECK CONTROL. So, in order to control the deck, you need ANOTHER cable...a different cable, called an RS-422 cable. This is a 9-pin cable that you connect SEPARATELY from the SDI cable. Look here:

http://www.aja.com/products/io/io-express.php

In the CONNECTIVITY picture...the top right. RS-422 Machine Control. You need a cable to connect there, and to the back of the Digibeta deck. This:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/93399-REG/Comprehensive_CVC_5G_6_RS_4...

Without that, you will not get deck control.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

vihang walve
on Jan 20, 2012 at 12:05:32 am

Well explained.. thanks a lot..
I ll get the cable now... Just want to confirm that this is not a software or format issue..
thanks a lot for ur help..

vihang

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 20, 2012 at 12:25:22 am

If you choose the proper Easy Setup for NTSC (not HD)...and you have deck control turned to UNCONTROLLED DEVICE, and the AJA Control Panel shows that you are getting a signal from SDI...then you should see a picture in the Log and Capture interface. If you don't, then something isn't right.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

vihang walve
on Jan 20, 2012 at 12:08:16 am

Also.. I tried firewire too. but its showing the same message.. unable to initialize.. so am I making some mistake in input or output format??

vihang

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 19, 2012 at 11:43:41 pm

SDI isn't like Firewire. Deck Control and video signal are all in one with Firewire. SDI is audio and video only. For deck control, you need an RS-422 cable. You can see a connection for it on the IO Express, and the deck.

If you don't want deck control, or timecode for the footage, you can switch Deck Control to UNCONTROLLED DEVICE, and manually control the deck. But I highly advise against it. Timecode is VERY important.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

vihang walve
on Jan 19, 2012 at 11:55:29 pm

That was helpful Shane... this is the first time m operating this.. so its little complicated for me..
so where can i find the Uncontrolled device option.. its certainly not on the deck..I ll try to get the RS-422 cable.. but I need to transfer few tapes today ASAP..:(
Is there any way I can make it work?

vihang

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 20, 2012 at 12:08:05 am

Well, as I said, I highly recommend NOT doing it this way...NOT doing it as Uncontrolled Device. Because if you do that, you don't capture the TIMECODE. And if you lose the footage for any reason...erased, hard drive crashes...then you need to re-edit everything from scratch. Delete the media and want to go back at a later date and make changes? Nope, gotta re-edit everything. With timecode, you can simply recapture the tapes and it will remember what was where due to TIMECODE. And your sequence will be rebuilt.

If you want to do this, in the CAPTURE window, click on the CAPTURE SETTINGS tab. That's where you'll see DEVICE CONTROL. Switch that to UNCONTROLLED DEVICE. Again, at your own risk....I advise against it.

Your Easy Setup should be "AJA IO Express NTSC 29.97 Apple ProRes 422".

If this is complicated, you need to get educated quick. This is all basic stuff editors should know.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

vihang walve
on Jan 19, 2012 at 11:58:56 pm

That was helpful Shane... this is the first time m operating this.. so its little complicated for me..
so where can i find the Uncontrolled device option.. its certainly not on the deck..

vihang

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 20, 2012 at 2:02:18 am

[vihang walve] "so where can i find the Uncontrolled device option.. its certainly not on the deck.."

Listen to Shane. DO NOT USE UNCONTROLLABLE DEVICE. If you really want to find it, read the $@#*&! Manual. That would be under the Help Tab.

Make sure your settings are for NTSC and not the 1080 23.98 you think you want. You are just asking for trouble.

All this information is also in the manual. Read, read, read. Like Shane said, this is basic stuff.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Graham Fox
on Mar 27, 2014 at 3:40:19 am

Hi Steve,

Just been reading your conversation about DigiBeta capturing. I am wanting to capture from Digibeta to my edit suite from a DVW-790WSP camcorder via its SDI output. I have installed a BM decklink SDI card in my suite and discovered it won't read the Sony SDI signals - BM Designs confirm their cards have problems reading Sony SD signals. So I'm looking at purchasing a AJA Io express, but I need to know it will work with DigiBeta, is it the same box you folks are referring to as the Aja 'express' and will it work ok with SD signals from Digibeta decks??

thanks,

Graham

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]