FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is Macbook Pro 13" ok for ocasional editing?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tatyana Mircheva
Is Macbook Pro 13" ok for ocasional editing?
on Jan 19, 2012 at 6:12:17 pm

Hi guys,

I already have an iMAC 27inch but I would like to purchase a macbook which would allow me to be more mobile. As I wouldn't like to spend much money, I would like to purchase the refurbished Macbook Pro 13" 350GB, 4GB RAM for £799. I will be using mainly FCP. I heard that the video card is not great and that motion and colour wouldn't work but that wouldn't be such a huge issue as I have the iMAC. Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance,
Tatyana

Tatyana Mircheva

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
Re: Is Macbook Pro 13" ok for ocasional editing?
on Jan 19, 2012 at 6:30:01 pm

Which MacBook pro specifically? I don't remember a 350GB specific one off the top of my head- what's the processor? :)

Tom Morter-Laing
Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010

------------------------------
Thanks if you can help :D

Equipment (not for 'bragging', but in case it's relevant to future posts :D): Canon 7D, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], G-Tech G-RAID 2TB (soon to be over eSata!). Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Tatyana Mircheva
on Jan 19, 2012 at 9:01:43 pm

I am sorry I meant the 13 inch 320GB http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC700B/A

Originally released February 2011
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1280-by-800 resolution
4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
320GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM

Tatyana Mircheva

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Jan 19, 2012 at 7:26:47 pm

I use my wife's 13" macbook pro core 2 duo with 4 gb ram every now and then. It works fine with a firewire 800 drive. Cuts only in Pro Res and HDV are no problem. I've finished a couple of projects on it, but it takes forever to render and I've only done it in a pinch.

It certainly is nothing compared to my Mac Pro, but it beats the pants off my old G4 that I cut DVCPRO HD footage with on FCP 4.5 when I made the jump to HD.

Return to posts index

Jules Bodenstein
on Jan 20, 2012 at 12:11:57 pm

Hi Tatyana,

All the modern macbook pros should be more than capable of running FCP, although they may be a little slow rendering I would advise working with offline SD proxies to relieve pressure on the macbook.

The main issue I would have with the 13 inch is the size of the screen. I like a big screen or two while editing and have found it difficult to work sometimes on my laptop which is the 15 inch model.

Either way happy editing!

Return to posts index

Tatyana Mircheva
on Jan 20, 2012 at 3:03:36 pm

Thank you guys for your replies. I have just purchased it. Have a good weekend! :)

Tatyana Mircheva

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jan 20, 2012 at 9:45:29 pm

The question I have is whether this one runs Lion or if it is the one running something prior to that. If this came out post Lion, then you might have a problem, as I have been unable to run FCP 7 under Lion. Just want to make sure you are clear on that, if in fact that is the case. I could be wrong. Maybe they have fixed that problem? But when I tried to install FCP 7 on my Lion based machine, it said it would not run on it and refused to install.

Al

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Jan 20, 2012 at 9:55:26 pm

Al- thats not a common issue methinks- I have Lion on mine and currently repel the idea of FCPX, and am running FCP7 without any issue...

Tom Morter-Laing
Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010

Thanks if you can help :D

Equipment (not for 'bragging', but in case it's relevant to future posts :D): Canon 7D, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], G-Tech G-RAID 2TB (soon to be over eSata!). Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jan 20, 2012 at 11:17:16 pm

Thanks Thomas, very odd. Oh well, I'll give it another try then. I don't use it that often anymore anyway, but when it didn't install, I just gave up.

Al

Return to posts index

Apostolos Nikolaidis
on Jul 2, 2012 at 5:12:22 pm

Tatiana hi,

I was wondering how things go with the 13" MBP and FCP?
I edit as well on a 27" iMac and need a small and reliable laptop for my shooting journeys.
Is the 13" MBP capable of doing some basic editing / viewing and exports for HD materials through FCP 7?

Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Apostolos

Return to posts index

Tatyana Mircheva
on Jul 3, 2012 at 12:12:28 am

Hi,

Well, I bought the refurbished one in January from the apple site -good price. It came as brand new.
I tried a little bit of editing and it was rather slow. The screen is also small. The last time I upgraded the firmware it crushed and had to take it to apple store. They had to erase everything. Bah!

So, unfortunately I can't give you a great review on the editing side as I didn't use it much for this after all.

I guess not helpful at all.

Therefore I am off to bed.

Ciao.

Tatyana Mircheva

Return to posts index

Apostolos Nikolaidis
on Jul 3, 2012 at 12:35:02 am

Hmmmm, doesn't sound great experience to have!

Thanks for your reply and wish you for "no more troubles".

Off to bed as well...

Apostolos Nikolaidis
http://www.nikolaidisapostolos.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]