FORUMS: list search recent posts

dip to white - just foreground

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Fortin
dip to white - just foreground
on Jan 19, 2012 at 1:35:45 pm

I would like to do a quick dip to white dissolve between two cuts during an on camera interview. The person is in the same position, relative to the background. I'd like to do the dip or flash to white just on the person and not on the background. Is there an effect that let's me control the crop of the effect area?

Thanks,

David

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: dip to white - just foreground
on Jan 19, 2012 at 3:26:48 pm

You would have to create a matte around the outline of your subject, this affecting only that which is in the matte. If you don't know how to do that you'd be better off flashing the entire frame, which actually will be far less freaky for your audience anyway unless your subject is science fiction or horror.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

David Fortin
on Jan 19, 2012 at 3:43:01 pm

Thanks David,

I'm looking for an effect like you see when watching edited news conferences where they add a flash of white, instead of a jump cut between cuts. To my eye, it doesn't look like the entire frame flashes white. Or if it does, it does so at a different rate of dissolve towards the edges.

I have used the "G Glow Dissolve" from Nattress, with fairly good results. But I'm trying to get a little bit different look. I've tried messing with the Glow/Blur/Saturation levels. Maybe I need to experiment a little bit more.

David

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 19, 2012 at 4:09:16 pm

You might be seeing a very simple thing: a 10-frame white solid (do they call it a slug in FCP?) placed at the cut, whose opacity immediately goes from 100% to 0%. It's also very easy to change the opacity on the incoming and outgoing sides of the cut.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on Jan 19, 2012 at 4:46:05 pm

Look for the Too Much Too Soon free "Flashframe" plugin. It has adjustments for blur and brightness.

Bars & Tone
SALUTE!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 19, 2012 at 5:02:43 pm

The difference between regular and additive dissolve could also be a factor.

Regarding confining the effect to the man's shape; the 8-point masking tool in FCP makes this very simple. (Video effects>Mattes>8-point mask) You just click on and then drag each of the eight points to array them around the guy's outline, there are feathering and softness sliders you can adjust.

But I think what the others have said rings true, regarding applying the effect to the entire frame. You might want to hard-cut to white on the front end, and apply the dissolve at the other side, to simulate a flash.

Be warned that too much of this, or too inconsistant an application, takes it from "looks creative and intentional" to "He's covering-up with an annoying transition".

You might also try going to a ten-frame freeze and dissolving-in the new full-motion cut, or doing a horizontal flip to edge-wise and invisible, that reveals the new clip underneath. Leading the audio a second or so during the freeze can sometimes help.

Return to posts index

Hans Damkoehler
on Jan 20, 2012 at 2:06:27 pm

I've seen this effect used in a lot of the TMZ like shows. The way I've replicated it, not that it's perfect, is to use a glow effect on the last 5 or 6 frames of the outgoing clip and then reverse the effect on the 5 or 6 frames of the incoming clup. This basically blows out the person but leaves the background relatively intact. The trick is that it's not a transition effect (like a cross) but applied separately to the head and tail of each clip.

I'm sure there are easier ways, but this has worked for me. It basically grows the flash out of the subject and then reverses it.

Sapphire effects work great if you can spring for it!

Good luck!

Hans

Hans Damkoehler
VideoBloom, Inc.
Senior Video Editor/Producer

Web: hd-editor.com
Twitter: hd_editor
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/hdeditor

Return to posts index

David Fortin
on Jan 21, 2012 at 6:09:14 pm

Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment and advise. Fortunately, the client came through with a bunch of images, so I only had use this effect one time.

I ended up doing what Hans suggested. I did a FxFactory Glow Dissolve, 8 frames each side of the cut. I messed around with the Start and End settings and was happy with the outcome.

As usual, this forum is a great source of information.

Thanks,

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]