FORUMS: list search recent posts

L+T/importing 7d footage problems

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Boston
L+T/importing 7d footage problems
on Jan 18, 2012 at 6:06:24 pm

Hi,
I am currently trying to get movie files from a 7d into my project browser. I'm am working in FCP 6.06 on a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 with 4GB memory and the canon eos plugin. The files were given to me as .mov's (without the file folders from the original card) and so far I can't seem to get them to play ball. I've tried L+T and it says "contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.". If I try to import them directly into my project FCP shuts down completely and gives me an error message (this also happens after I have run them through compressor and spit them out as Apple ProRes 422). Also if I try to run them through Mpeg Streamclip that program shuts down as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: L+T/importing 7d footage problems
on Jan 18, 2012 at 6:13:12 pm

Use Magic Bullet Grinder to convert (it is fast as it throws one processor on a clip at a time. 8 processors, 8 clips converted at once), or use compressor or mpeg Streamclip to convert to ProRes.

Without the full card structure, FCP is useless.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Boston
on Jan 18, 2012 at 7:28:22 pm

thanks for the advice! unfortunately streamclip won't open the files period. I've successfully converted a few test clips to ProRes with compressor but even in that codec when I try to import them fcp shuts down and gives me an error message. Also I don't have magic bullet. Are you saying that even in ProRes without the full card structure fcp is useless?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 18, 2012 at 8:10:57 pm

[John Boston] "The files were given to me as .mov's (without the file folders from the original card)"

Get the full card structure.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

John Boston
on Jan 18, 2012 at 8:54:26 pm

Thanks for the advice Steve, I am having the original provider send them to me. However I have noticed that fcp won't import any video files (that aren't logged and transferred) period, so I'm starting to think this problem may be bigger than just the 7d footage. Also when I "command-i" a clip a tiny version of the info box appears for a split second before everything on my desktop disappears and than re-appears a few seconds later. Any suggestions would be much appreciated as always.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 18, 2012 at 9:21:39 pm

Just like Shane said, without the FULL card structure, FCP is useless.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 19, 2012 at 6:36:29 am

Souds like you have some sort of QT problem, as all the apps you're talking about crashing use QT to open the h264 files from the Canon. They try to open them, and crash. There's something awry with QT I think. Perhaps uninstall and reinstall QT 7.

Return to posts index

John Boston
on Jan 19, 2012 at 9:00:26 pm

Yeah I agree its outside of fcp and possibly linked to QT, however QT will play any of these files without a problem which makes me think maybe its working fine? Not really sure at this point but I appreciate your suggestion.

Return to posts index

consuelo gonzalez
on Jun 30, 2012 at 4:14:46 am

Hi Steve,

I have a similar problem and unfortunately the cards were recorded over so there's no possibility of getting the full card structure. I only have the .mov files. The footage plays back stuttering.
ANYTHING I can do? I need to edit in FCP.

Thank you for your time!

Consuelo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]