FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon Vixia Import files size too big

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jimmy joe roche
Canon Vixia Import files size too big
on Jan 18, 2012 at 5:08:56 pm

Hello Pro's
I'm teaching a course this semester where the students are shooting with canon Vixias and then -- log and transferring -- the footage directly into FCP7. The files sizes are huge - I think last night we were importing prores (HQ) and the files were 2gig's for about a min of 1080i footage. What can I do? Will using the prores(LT) import settings help ? is there something I'm not thinking of? We can't buy anything - we have top solve this problem with the software we own. Thanks
jjr

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Canon Vixia Import files size too big
on Jan 18, 2012 at 6:41:19 pm

Assuming this course is NOT intended to deliver network-quality video, but is rather a course to teach editing in FCP, you wouldn't need ProRes HQ. LT would save a lot of storage and be perfectly fine for just about any need you would have.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

jimmy joe roche
on Jan 18, 2012 at 7:05:56 pm

thanks dave
If we wanted to get them even smaller could we use prores(proxy) ? is the only disadvantage to using proxy that it is lower quality? will proxy play back as dependably as the other prores codex's ?
thanks
jjr

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 18, 2012 at 7:12:45 pm

Yes and yes. Proxy is just fine for teaching the editing process in FCP. And if students want to show off their projects, they can do so.

You'll just have to lay down the law: additional storage is not an option, hence Proxy. If they want better, they can use their own drives on their own machines with their own copies of FCP on their own time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

jimmy joe roche
on Jan 18, 2012 at 8:50:13 pm

ok dave
one final question. for play back how would you suggest de-interlacing the footage ? when exporting in compressor or using a filter in FCP?
thanks
jjr

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 18, 2012 at 8:55:20 pm

Compressor would look better, but may take longer. I have no experience deinterlacing on a regular basis.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]