FORUMS: list search recent posts

DNxHD changes frame size when imported to FCP?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Illusia Sarvas
DNxHD changes frame size when imported to FCP?
on Jan 18, 2012 at 12:22:36 pm

Hi guys,

I just ran into a weird problem. I hope the solution is simpler!

I got a mov from an Avid user, in DNxHD codec. If I check the size in Quicktime player, everything seems to be fine - 1920x1080 as it should be. How ever, when I import the file to FCP 7.0.3 the size in browser says 1024x576. The file should be HD as far as I know, but for some reason FCP turns it to SD? I'm confused! (And yes, I do have the plugin from Avid, though every once in a while FCP complains it cannot read the codec...)

I already asked the sender to check their export settings, but yet I find this very weird, because other clips they have sent me seem to be just fine. Any ideas?

BR,
Illusia

Return to posts index

Illusia Sarvas
Re: DNxHD changes frame size when imported to FCP?
on Jan 18, 2012 at 12:43:57 pm

I'll reply to myself. Managed to work around this problem by converting the file to ProRes in Compressor.

Still confused though, if you have any ideas, please tell me!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 18, 2012 at 11:35:45 pm

Quicktime is never a reliable way to check file info. Usually FCP is so it sounds like you were sent a PAL SD file in true 16:9 not PAL SD anamorphic.

Another way to check is to have VLC player on your system. It is a free player and much better at giving you accurate codec, frame size and frame rate info.

Return to posts index

Illusia Sarvas
on Jan 19, 2012 at 8:33:24 am

Hi Michael, and thanks for your answer.

I just checked the clip with VLC player as you suggested, and it says it's 1920x1080. As did Compressor by the way. FCP is the only one that disagrees...

My problem was actually solved after they send me yet another clip. I don't know what they did differently with the export, but this time the clip was fine and I could use it normally in FCP.

Is there a clear list of settings one should use when exporting from Avid to FCP? And if there is, where can I find it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]