FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPro 6's Log & Transfer no longer imports the full clip- cuts off end!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bronwen Mackay
FCPro 6's Log & Transfer no longer imports the full clip- cuts off end!
on Jan 18, 2012 at 10:38:32 am

Hey I am an UK novice user of Final Cut Pro 6 with a MacBook Pro using a Panasonic HVX201 with P2 media. I have rarely encountered a problem but don't profess to know what to do when the set up goes awry.

OK- nothing I have done is different from usual:

1. Imported full P2 card's CONTENT folder to external drive (therefore no different to attaching camera with the folder),

2. Set up project on the hard drive, setting scratch disks to the hard drive, in a folder for the project,

3. Opened log and transfer, previewed the clips, named them and set ins and outs (and on some I don't- wanting the whole clip),

4. Transferred them individually with Add To Queue on the right, under the previewer,

5. Tried to use them in a sequence only to find that the full clip did not import- the last bit is simply not there, cut off, as it were,

6. Redid the ones where it mattered and noted that the progress bar under the bin on the left works normally, quite quickly I think, and then- half way along, simply stops and BAM- the clip is "done" and in my FCPro project bin. Albeit still short.

The P2 media was shot DVCPRO 720p50 by a third party and that is the only difference I can see as I shoot 720p25 when I do.

Also- in trying to work with/around this, as I had a deadline I noted that the preview was showing a marked slowing of footage. Thought that my eyes were tired (it was 1am) and that the preview was set to low. Exported it for a test and no- STILL slow.

Could it be that the 50 frames thing is the problem? Only I couldn't set the project up to those settings and relied on the programme telling me that one or the other had to conform due to the settings beging different (isn't that Easy Set Up? Or am I now totally confused?).

Please help. And thank you for reading.

Return to posts index

Bronwen Mackay
Re: FCPro 6's Log & Transfer no longer imports the full clip- cuts off end!
on Jan 18, 2012 at 9:52:24 pm

I have tried new projects, different project settings and have even considered that the files are corrupt. They are not- I have Avid as well and they work just fine there.

Just that I have a really sweet wee edit in FCPro and I would love to be able to use it as we need it done quicksmart.

Should I delete FCPro preferences to see if that has an effect? Or IS it the fact that it is 720p50? When I speed motion up to 200% it is much better (though I think you can tell it is slowed and sped up again)...

Anyone got a miracle cure?

"may you always do for others and let others do for you" ~Bob Dylan

Return to posts index

Hans Damkoehler
on Jan 19, 2012 at 1:50:18 pm

I'm not sure if this will help but look and see that Advanced Pulldown is NOT checked in the Log and Transfer Preferences. If it is checked, uncheck it and retry your import on a file. This may help solve the issue for you, as I've had this happen similarly before.

To be clear, it is the "Remove Advanced Pulldown" checkbox I believe.

Hans Damkoehler
VideoBloom, Inc.
Senior Video Editor/Producer

Return to posts index

Bronwen Mackay
on Jan 19, 2012 at 2:05:11 pm

Hans- if I were not happily married and it were seemly I'd propose to you!

I have spent a whole day (and night- I got to bed this morning at 6:30am) fretting over this and, having tested it in every which way, also having been lectured elsewhere on the benefits of filling in my profile "properly" (which it is btw) since it is clearly to do with my hardware/external drives etc, it is hard to believe that the answer was so simple!

Thank you SO much.

You have literally saved my life.

Cheeky question- what IS that option I have disabled? What does it do? I like to know what I am doing and why, forgive me. I find it is the only way to learn.

Now that it is sorted I am a very happy person. Of course I now also have Avid for Mac installed (had to- couldn't risk it being ongoing, this problem) so it hasn't been all bad. I like Avid for some things but for this edit- FCPro is the way forward. :D

*skips off doing a happy dance*

"may you always do for others and let others do for you" ~Bob Dylan

Return to posts index

Hans Damkoehler
on Jan 19, 2012 at 4:41:25 pm

Yahoo! Glad that worked for you.

I ran into this issue when I first started with my HVX and it killed half a day's shoot when the card was already reformatted and no back up of the source material. Thankfully you had it backed up!

I assume your footage was recorded in Native (PN) mode. This camera mode automatically discards duplicate frames when recording in 720p. The end result is that you get more recording time out of your P2 card, which rocks. However, if the checkbox is checked in FCP then its going to go ahead and remove frames that it is assuming is there, but they are not because your camera did it for you! Thus it is removing frames that you need! The end result is a heart attack as you watch your footage that looked fine in the Log & Transfer screen but is all screwed up after import. Audio slowly drifts, the clip ends too soon, etc. It's a nightmare, and I believe the box is automatically checked by default and is not obvious so it is easy to miss if you don't know about it.

In a nutshell, though this wasn't really your issue, Pulldown is when you are converting frame rates, 23.98 to 29.97 for us NTSC folks, and the the original frames are divided up over fields to create extra frames. This FCP feature can be used to REMOVE pulldown (those half and half frames) if you were working with 29.97 footage at 1080i or 480i that you want to get to 23.98 once in FCP.

I don't deal with that much in my line of work so my explanation may not be completely on target. But that said, I'm glad my previous heart attack helped you in the end!

PS - happily married with 5 kids, so I'll have to pass, but thanks for the offer! ;)

Cheers and good luck with your piece!

Hans

Hans Damkoehler
VideoBloom, Inc.
Senior Video Editor/Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]