FORUMS: list search recent posts

KEY / Green screen problems ... FCP ASAP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Katie dillon
KEY / Green screen problems ... FCP ASAP
on Jan 17, 2012 at 7:30:08 pm

So,

Keying the green screen out for the first time for a client. Came out fine, until the guy in the video moves his arm really fast. I can see the green screen behind him, it looks terrible. And it looks terrible. Does anyone know a way to get that out without A. removing other parts of the picture, or B. Matting it frame by frame?

Please help ASAP.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: KEY / Green screen problems ... FCP ASAP
on Jan 17, 2012 at 7:34:51 pm

Hard to say what will do the trick without a screen shot of the original green screen video. Knowing its codec would be helpful, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Katie dillon
on Jan 17, 2012 at 7:48:34 pm

I changed the footage from H.264 to Apple Prores 422HQ.

The original green screen was poorly lit, making the Key itself difficult. I was able to matte out the edges where the light trails off changing the hue of the green screen, but the hands still plague me.

macdon2.jpg

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 17, 2012 at 8:08:53 pm

Ugh. Yeah, that's a God-Awful green screen, all right. I suppose you're stuck with what you have, and there's no possibility of a re-shoot using proper lighting.

The fact that it began life as H.264 -- a codec with inherently lousy color resolution -- doesn't help, either. Once color resolution is gone, it's gone.

How familiar are you with Motion or After Effects? It appears that you'd want to duplicate the footage, animate a mask around the hand and go heavy on spill suppression.

Then give the photographer a hearty dope slap for his/her assumption that he/she knew full well how to light for chroma key.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Katie dillon
on Jan 17, 2012 at 8:39:23 pm

I’m okay with motion.

I guess that’s just what ill have to do.

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
on Jan 17, 2012 at 9:23:15 pm

The late great Ultimatte Advantedge was good at handling this kind of thing all by itself (sad that ultimatte discontinued support) - IMO Primatte and Keylight are less effective as "one click" plug ins. Instead, use Primatte or Keylight to generate mattes, and then use those mattes as alpha channels and/or in precomps using various transfer modes as needed for color suppression in transparent and soft objects.

For a non - roto approach, see this tutorial that is very useful for blurry and transparent objects:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/advanced_soft_keying/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]