FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP to Premiere

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stan Parker
FCP to Premiere
on Jan 17, 2012 at 1:02:10 am

So, I'm editing a feature documentary in Final Cut Pro that I shot with Canon DSLRs and imported using the Canon E1 plug-in to edit in Proxy. (For the horror associated with the E1 plug-in, look no further than here: http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/4109/a-few-words-of-warning-for-the-eos-m... )

In addition to those difficulties (we imported the footage using two different computers), I'm also having massive difficulty with Log & Transfer. FCP keeps crashing when I try to mount the folders.

I'm seriously considering switching to Premiere, which could handle my footage natively. I'm about 85% edited, and my Color Correcting guy is planning on using AE anyway.

It looks like I'm doomed to face headaches no matter what I do. Can anyway give me a prediction of what problems I might encounter if I transfer my entire project to Premiere? It should be as easy as exporting an XML, importing, and then replacing the footage, right? I know that there is going to be a lot of clicking involved, but it seems like the safe bet to me. After all, I'll *never* be able to upres my movie if FCP keeps crashing.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: FCP to Premiere
on Jan 17, 2012 at 1:27:27 am

If you do switch to Premiere, you are better off starting your project from scratch. Keep in mind when you are working with the native h.264 files from the camera, they are extremely compressed hd files. ProRes handles the footage much better in the edit suite.

If I was editing in FCP, I would not transcode to Proxy. I would transcode to ProRes.

[Stan Parker] "In addition to those difficulties (we imported the footage using two different computers), I'm also having massive difficulty with Log & Transfer. FCP keeps crashing when I try to mount the folders."

Are you working on a Mac Book Pro? What hard drives are you transcoding to?

AVID Media Composer is also an option compared to Premiere.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Stan Parker
on Jan 17, 2012 at 2:47:03 am

Thanks for your response.

Do you really think I'm better off starting from scratch? I have over an hour of edited footage by now...

And I'm editing both on a MacBook Pro and an iMac. I edit on my MacBook Pro when I don't have access to my friend's iMac, and they both seem to crash rather frequently on me when I try to mount my reels in L&T.

I have 50 reels, and to my understanding, all of them will need to be mounted in order to Batch Capture my project into ProRes. If the E1 plug-in keeps crashing final cut when I try to mount them, I don't know what I'm going to do.

I'm using a G-SAFE 2TB drive.

I originally wanted to edit in ProRes, but we didn't have enough hard drive space to accommodate that, so we decided to edit in Proxy, and then upres to ProRes once we locked picture. Lock picture is approaching rapidly, and I want to make sure that that process is as painless as possible.

Thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

John Moffat
on Jan 17, 2012 at 3:02:33 pm

I'm not sure how stable Premiere will be with a 60min+ timeline of h.264 files. Premiere is great for short form but I would not switch until I spoke to someone with real world experience. You could just be switching from one bag of hurt to another. Ask at the premiere forum 1st.

Also, I would worry if someone is grading in AE. It's the wrong application for the job.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]