FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut 4:3 Clip to 16:9 Sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amy Lafleche
Final Cut 4:3 Clip to 16:9 Sequence
on Jan 16, 2012 at 11:06:20 pm

Hi,

I was given some footage that is 720 x 480. When I drag and drop it into my sequence it gives me a message that the clip doesn't match my sequence settings. If I select Yes change settings to match I get a 16:9 sequence but the video stays at 4:3 and if I say No the sequence and clip stay at 4:3.

The end result that I'm looking for is a 16:9 file for DVD. I export it using Compressor into a mp2 and ac3 file to use in DVD Studio Pro.

I've already cut the timeline together but I'm willing to redo it if there's a solution.

Can someone help me sort out the right settings to get this to work?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I've taken a screen shot (http://amylafleche.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Picture-2.png) and this is what I'm running if that helps:

I'm running Final Cut Pro 6.0.6
on
Mac OS X 10.5.8
2.66 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
3GB Memory

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Final Cut 4:3 Clip to 16:9 Sequence
on Jan 16, 2012 at 11:35:30 pm

I see a different problem: that imported SD clip is H.264, which isn't an acceptable codec for editing in FCP. You need to transcode it to s ProRes 422 using MPEG Streamclip or Compressor.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Amy Lafleche
on Jan 16, 2012 at 11:43:45 pm

The clip seems to work fine though? Why isn't it acceptable? Is that why I can't change the aspect ratio?

There's over 12 clips that I've used in the timeline so before I convert and recreate I just want to be sure.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 17, 2012 at 6:32:11 pm

H.264 is unacceptable because it's so processor-intensive. Use too much of it, and your editing grinds to a halt, which doesn't sound like any fun to me. I don't know, perhaps you enjoy great pain and inconvenience at the worst point in the project, in which case you just keep using H.264. Knock yourself out.

Now, if I were doing it...

AFTER you've converted it to Prores 422, check the newly-imported ProRes 422 clip in the browser and check under the Anamorphic column. If there's a check mark, un-check it. Then just add the clip to the timeline. If it's supposed to be 4x3 but shows up as 16x9, just change it in one of the properties you'll find under the Motion tab.

If you need to do change aspect ratio later, you can always use the Copy>Paste Attributes>Motion to correct subsequent clips using the settings of this first one.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]