FORUMS: list search recent posts

T3i Workflow between Mac and PC

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Oster
T3i Workflow between Mac and PC
on Jan 16, 2012 at 10:33:13 pm

Hey, guys. I just shot a bunch of footage on a T3i and now I need to transcode it for someone to edit in Final Cut Pro on their Mac. The catch is I need to do this transcoding on my PC.

I know that converting to ProRes in Windows is pretty much impossible, so what options do I have? Should I pick another codec? It's a lot of footage so I'd like to avoid ridiculous file sizes.

Thanks for your help (as always!)

- Dan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: T3i Workflow between Mac and PC
on Jan 16, 2012 at 10:53:11 pm

No, you can't go ProRes, that's true, but you CAN use QT's PNG codec or you can export to PNG image sequences with an associated audio file, if any. The recipient will have to do additional transcoding to ProRes, but at least you will have given him or her lossless files.

It's just no fun at all to go between Windows and Macs. In fact, it stinks.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
Re: T3i Workflow between Mac and PC
on Jan 17, 2012 at 2:00:07 pm

You'd be better off just making disk images of your cards using disk utility, and giving them the .img files. They can then import them into FCP as ProRes using the log and transfer tool and the Canon FCP plug-in. All they have to do is open each disk image in turn, then import them as if they had the cards.

Doing a transcode for them causes endless format hassles on a PC, and won't save them much time unless you have countless hours of footage.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]