FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 problem: two Apple cinema screens, "Mirror on Desktop" not checked prevents video playing back on 2nd screen

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Natteau
FCP7 problem: two Apple cinema screens, "Mirror on Desktop" not checked prevents video playing back on 2nd screen
on Jan 14, 2012 at 4:55:54 pm

I'm editing with Final Cut Pro 7 with 2 Apple cinema screens: the main 30" and the secondary 23".

When uncheck "Mirror on Desktop" in my Video settings tab, my footage no longer plays on my secondary screen. I don't want my video to playback on both cinema screens as it's distracting.

Is there any workaround for this? Would I have to get a Matrox MXO in order to make sure that the video plays on the secondary screen while not playing on the main screen?

Thanks very much in advance for any help.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: FCP7 problem: two Apple cinema screens, "Mirror on Desktop" not checked prevents video playing back on 2nd screen
on Jan 14, 2012 at 5:08:49 pm

Go into your display preferences, select arrangement and swap displays (click/drag on the display to the left or right).

If you want true video output, not computer output, a capture i/o such as the Matrox MXO2 will give that to you.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Nick Natteau
Re: FCP7 problem: two Apple cinema screens, "Mirror on Desktop" not checked prevents video playing back on 2nd screen
on Jan 14, 2012 at 7:19:59 pm

Hello and thanks for replying. I tried that and it didn't change anything. I agree that it's not an ideal solution because I truly need a broadcast monitor.

I just wish I could have the video not play back on the main screen while it plays on the second cinema screen. Do you have any idea why it doesn't do that? Is it because it's seeing the second apple monitor as just an extension of the main screen?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 15, 2012 at 12:48:13 am

Both screens are your desktop. Turning off mirror on desktop turns it off I suppose. I've got my iMac setup the same way, except I haven't had any reason to turn mirror off (odd that you find it distracting). I'll try it tonight.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 15, 2012 at 8:27:48 pm

In FCP under View, you have some options.

1. Digital Cinema Desktop Preview-MAIN

2. Digital Cinema Desktop Preview

Try it out report back what you see.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Nick Natteau
on Jan 16, 2012 at 5:13:05 pm

Hello everyone.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I tried every option:
• Digital Cinema Desktop_Main
• Digital Cinema Desktop
• Digital Cinema Desktop_Full Screen
• Digital Cinema Desktop_Raw

Not sure what the purpose of "Digital Cinema Desktop" and "Digital Cinema Desktop_Raw" are.
I know that "Main" is the just initial screen.

But what's happening is that if I select "Digital Cinema Desktop_Full Screen" and then go into my A/V Prefs and uncheck "Mirror on Desktop", the video then freezes on both monitors. I can hear audio, but video stops moving on both screens. Will try it with a broadcast monitor. But I don't understand why unchecking "MIrror on Desktop" would cause the video to no longer play, just the audio plays.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]