FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Studio 7 Upgrade

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eric Thompson
Final Cut Studio 7 Upgrade
on Jan 13, 2012 at 5:04:06 pm

I really pooed the bed and upgraded from Leopard to Snow leopard then to Lion. The problem was that I had Final Cut Studio 6 and 6 is not compatible with Lion. I tried to go backwards to Snow Leopard but it wouldn't work without scrubbing my drive and losing everything. Now I just ordered the full Final Cut Pro Studio 7 since no upgrades are available. Will I lose my projects in Final Cut 6 if I install 7 or will it just work like an upgrade? Please help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Final Cut Studio 7 Upgrade
on Jan 13, 2012 at 5:17:21 pm

You won't lose anything. FCP 7 will update the projects. But know that the best practice for installing new FCP software is to not install it on top of FCP 6...but to reformat the hard drive and install the app fresh....something you wanted to avoid. You can try the FCS Uninstaller from DigitalRebellion to remove FCS2...and then install FCS3. But for best results, best stability, reformatting and installing fresh is always the best way.

Personally I like stability, so I reformat.

Before you do...clone the drive to an external with Carbon Copy Cloner so that you ensure to have everything backed up.

Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Jan 14, 2012 at 1:11:08 pm

Or just buy a new drive, start fresh, and put the old one on the shelf as a backup! My original drive always 500gb so I just picked up a 2tb from OWC for $130. Pretty reasonable, and now I will have tons of spec compared to the old one and won't have to worry about formatting and erasing (or even cloning for that matter) a drive and realizing I left something on there that need.

Just something to thnk about.

Posted from iPad, please excuse typos!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

Wendy Meyer
on May 25, 2012 at 5:10:04 am

How do you reformat the hard drive?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved