FORUMS: list search recent posts

A/V out of sync after PAL to NTSC conversion using Nattress tools

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Houle
A/V out of sync after PAL to NTSC conversion using Nattress tools
on Jan 13, 2012 at 2:55:18 am

Hi Folks,

I've used the Nattress conversion 2.5 tool quite a bit to convert PAL to NTSC and vice versa and haven't come across this situation where the audio is out of sync to the video after rendering.

The original capture files (DV - PAL 720x576) don't have any playback issues whatsoever in both QT 10.1 and FCP 7.

But when I add the filter using the instructions I've always used (http://www.nattress.com/Movies/PAL%20to%20NTSC%20Conversion.mov), the audio is very out of sync.

I've tried:

- rendering the audio first before applying the filter

- add the filter than render both A and V

- no render with export to self-contained NTSC .mov

- tried deleting the render files then rendered again (amazing how long it takes on a 12 core :(

- deleted entire project, re-created a new one and tried again. no dice.

i'm at a loss...

I've seen instructions to use Compressor 3, but I've always had issues getting compressor to use all cores with QMaster and QAdmin.

Has anyone seen instructions on how to use Compressor 4 to convert PAL to NTSC? I can't seem to figure it out...

Cheers,
Brian

Return to posts index

Terry Tsangaris
Re: A/V out of sync after PAL to NTSC conversion using Nattress tools
on Jan 17, 2012 at 1:47:15 am

Hi Brain
The best and quickest way I found to do standards conversion from PAL to NTSC or the other way,Open a new timeline with settings that best suits your final destination workflow, in your case open a NTSC timeline can be either(SD or HD Anamorphic for wide screen)you need to have you timeline setup to your requirements.Then you import your PAL clip select and place on Timeline a request will prompt you (do you want to change settings to match your clip) select NO your timeline will turn green or red, depending on your hardware you maybe able to play back in real time.Then you simply export to QuickTime movie or other,If you want a DvD then go through Compressor.
I hope I've been clear regarding steps I use this method all the time and it's half the time of other techniques oh ye and the Sound is in sync.

All the Best
Terry

Return to posts index

Brian Houle
on Jan 17, 2012 at 3:06:45 pm

Thanks Terry. I'll give that a shot.
Do you have to render first before exporting or will it render as it exports?
I've always been curious about rendering and whether or not it's necessary.

Return to posts index

Terry Tsangaris
on Jan 17, 2012 at 9:40:30 pm

No need to render before export I have never tried rendering on timeline before export but my guess this progress is taking a step by step approach.
So export to QuickTime or send to compressor without render takes care of two steps in one render in a shorter time.
At work all of our Programs need to be converted from PAL to NTSC to create DvD's for Aircraft use so these were original steps.
Send to Compressor from PAL TL to create a PAL QuickTime clip,then import to DvD Studio and the conversion to NTSC would take place there.
NOW we open NTSC TL place PAL clip (click NO to TL matching clip)so NTSC conversion happens here on the fly then sending to compressor and selecting DvD preset.
Shorter steps at half the time,You gotta love it.
I worked out this method because at home I use CS5.5

Brian your Lunches will be shorter.

Terry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]