FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro and .MTS

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Garrett Imel
Final Cut Pro and .MTS
on Jan 13, 2012 at 12:08:54 am

I've become extremely frustrated and decided to look to the forums.

Recently, we filmed our latest school trip. Afterwards, I was tasked with taking the footage, and editing it into a 2-3 min video about the trip. But the camera we used records in .MTS format, which Final Cut Pro does not like. I tried converting it to several file types using Prism (found here http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html ) but none of them work. Most wont even import. The farthest i've gotten is importing an .avi file. But I soon got an error saying "Codec could not open"

I hope someone out there has had a similar problem and will be able to help me.

~Gimel~

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Final Cut Pro and .MTS
on Jan 13, 2012 at 12:57:30 am

You need to use LOG AND TRANSFER...full workflow here:

Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kip Kermoian
on Jan 19, 2012 at 12:26:20 am

Hello again,

.MTS files to FCP7

Thanks again for your clear tutorial Shane.

As I said in my last post, I have two seemingly identical directory structures on an SD card, one of which contains clips that transfer perfectly (AVCHD to Pro Res (LT)), the other contains clips that generate: "warning...unsupported media...invalid directory structure....These were shot on a Sony Alpha nex-5 camera which I no longer have access to.

I am under a deadline to cut this show and need to find any means to get the clips into an editable format/program.

I converted the files to MPEG4 via "handbrake". When I drag them into the bin in FCP7, and attempt to play them in the time line, I get the "Warning - Dropped Frames" message.

I tried iMovie: one, 1+ minute clip takes more than an hour to 'render'! Not an option, not to mention the limited usability of iMovie.

Does anyone have any suggestions that might allow me to edit these clips?

Thanks in advance,
Kip

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 19, 2012 at 2:07:12 am

Handbrake is wrong for this. Doesn't produce files FCP uses. That's for making videos to play in iPhones and iPads. You need MPEG Streamclip. Free. Concert to ProTes. If that doesn't work, Clipwrap2

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kip Kermoian
on Jan 20, 2012 at 2:08:01 am

Thank you again Shane.

Tried MPEG Streamclip("File open error: unsupported file type").

Clipwrap initially resulted in 'jerky playback, FCP crashed, and the warning: "dropped frames" when converted to ProRes (LT).

However, AIC worked well. Out of curiosity I attempted Pro Res and Pro Res(LT)again, both now appear to work flawlessly on playback. Any reason I should expect this to change half-way thru the project?!

I'm running FCP 7.0.1. on Mac OS X Snow Leopard, V 10.6.2. processor 2x2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Memory 6GB, 1066MHz DDR3. Of course, I want to use the codec that outputs the highest quality A/V and is viewable on as many types of DVD players as is possible, i.e., stand alone, computers, etc..I have plenty of space in a remote hard drive to handle volume so that is not an issue.

Can you suggest the best codec to convert to, for my situation and desired results?

Most appreciatively,
Kip

Return to posts index

Kip Kermoian
Re: FCP7 slow motion images unstable after render
on Feb 16, 2012 at 9:21:48 am

I converted AVCHD (.mts) files (Sony Alpha NEX-5) via clipwrap 2 into AIC files to import into FCP7. All seemed well until I slowed 3 clips to 50%; 40%; 30% and 20%, fully rendered and exported to Quick time to see how they looked. Video breaks-up sporadically, somewhat pixelated looking, bouncing edges, jumpy... I've tried grabbing these same and different source clips a number of times, placing them into the time line independently, and in different seqs, at different speeds. Sometimes they playback and look good before rendering, but are always unstable on playback as QT files. I would include a clip here if I knew how...?

Any experience with rendering stable slow motion clips?
Thanks,
KIp

FCP 7.0.1. on Mac OS X Snow Leopard, V 10.6.2. processor 2x2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Memory 6GB, 1066MHz DDR3.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]