FORUMS: list search recent posts

Field Dominance Question in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Weinstein
Field Dominance Question in FCP
on Jan 12, 2012 at 8:16:11 pm

Hi I've read around a lot about field dominance and for some reason I still don't know the answer to this question.

I've converted 5D/7D h264 footage to apple pro res. I just realized that it is also with an upper field dominance.

Now in FCP i'm also working with a sony with a field dominance of none.

Is it okay to have my sequence settings in FCP set to field dominance upper to make the 5d/7d happy or is upper field dominance going to cause shots with movement to appear jittery?

So can I leave it as is, or do I have to re-convert all the h264 files to apple pro res field dominance none... there are hundreds!!!

Thanks any insight much appreciated! I wish my friends were more techy!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Field Dominance Question in FCP
on Jan 12, 2012 at 9:01:31 pm

DSLR's only shoot progressive. As long as you've converted all footage the ProRes, it ramains progressive. You should only have to highlight the footage in question in the FCP browser and change the field order (erroneously called field dominance in FCP) to None and you're good to go.

If the footage shows up with a field order of None already, it's moot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Laura Weinstein
on Jan 12, 2012 at 11:33:10 pm

Hi, I don't quite understand. Are you saying to simply change my sequence settings to none and then bring the pro ress upper field clips directly into the sequence?

Which is the setting that can make clips more jittery?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 12, 2012 at 11:41:58 pm

Footage from the 5D does not have any fields, as other kinds of 1080 footage typically has. You informed us in your first post that footage from the Sony camera likewise was shot progressive. Thus the 5D & Sony footage should both play nicely in a sequence with no field order: set to NONE. Why? Neither have any field order. They were both shot progressive

Double check in the FCP Browser -- that window where all your project video clips reside -- that the clips as well are set to none. You can change them to none if necessary in the browser.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Laura Weinstein
on Jan 13, 2012 at 12:21:58 am

So if footage from the 5D has no fields why does it say upper in the browser window?

and if I understand correctly I simply select all the 5D clips in the browser, right click field dominance and change to none, then change my sequence settings?

many thanks

Return to posts index

Martin Baker
on Jan 13, 2012 at 8:08:30 am

The ProRes codec has a setting that flags whether the content is interlaced or progressive. I'm not sure how exactly you did the conversion, but it sounds like the codec was set to interlaced, hence why FCP flags it as "Upper First" when you bring the .mov into FCP.

So as long as you remember to reset it back to "None", then you'll be fine in a matching "None" sequence. The worst possible situation would be leaving it as "Upper First" in a "None" sequence - this will cause half the resolution to be thrown away.

MartinDigital Heaven, London UK Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps----------FinalCutters - For Everything Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

Laura Weinstein
on Jan 13, 2012 at 7:00:50 pm

When you say "reset" it back to none. you mean selection all clips in browser and right click to change field to none.. then change sequence settings? I've already started editing....

I did the conversion in mpeg stream clip

Return to posts index

Laura Weinstein
on Jan 13, 2012 at 7:01:43 pm

currently my sequences are set to upper

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 13, 2012 at 3:37:11 pm

[Laura Weinstein] "So if footage from the 5D has no fields why does it say upper in the browser window?"

Because FCP thinks pretty much all 1080 footage is upper field first. It is easily overcome in the FCP Browser.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on May 12, 2013 at 10:28:47 am

Hey Dave,
I was searching an answer for this question about field dominance and wouldn't you know it...the internet led me back to Rome. You've helped me before in the past and you did here again this evening (morning). Just wanted to say thanks.
Jared

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]